Re: [aspectj-dev] two quick questions about jdk 1.5

> 1) When do you expect to support the new syntax.

Our current target is to have full support by the end of March 2005 (when
the Eclipse JDT compiler fully supports Java 5). However, there will be a
number of milestone releases on the run up to that.

The first major milestone (1.5.0M1) simply ensures that AspectJ's weaver
does the right thing when confronted with Java 5 class files (ie. no
extended pointcut syntax etc., but does understand covariance, varargs,
bridge methods, enums, etc.). I'd like to reach this point by Christmas
(or before, depending on the order we decide to attack things in).

The second major milestone (1.5.0M2) extends the pointcut matching to
support generics and annotations in pointcut expressions. We can do this
ahead of the full JDT support being available as this function is
implemented in our weaver. With M2, you will be able to compile Java 5
sources using the Java 5 compiler, and then (binary) weave them with
AspectJ, taking full advantage of Java 5 features in join point matching.
This will give an equivalent level of Java 5 support to the other aspect
approaches out there right now. I'd like to reach this point by the end of
January.

The third major milestone will be 1.5.0rc1, with the full source-level
support for Java 5 features. I'd like to reach this point by the end of
March.

The timings may vary, and there may be additional milestones inserted
inbetween or after these, but that should give you a flavour of our
current thinking.

> 2) Do you require (and have a place for) an extra developer helping
> out.  I have
> some code that could really benefit from aspects, but it's in 1.5.  I
have 7
> years java exp under my belt and am willing to pitch in where needed. As
> don't know the code base, I'm probably best used as a code monkey
> (and am happy
> to be).

How could we refuse? :) I've been working on the specification of some of
the 1.5 features, and Andy has been working on the lower-level support
(like extending our optimized BCEL implementation to support annotations).
This work has been temporarily out of the tree whilst we keep things
locked down for the 1.2.1 release, but is about to get checked in and will
form a good basis for collaborative development around 1.5. Andy and I
will discuss tomorrow which implementation tasks may be suitable to break
out as a (gentle?) introduction and get back to you.

Thanks, Adrian.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

adamandeve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/11/2004 07:55
Please respond to
aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-dev] two quick questions about jdk 1.5

Hi Guys,

I know you probably get bugged daily about jdk 1.5 all the time, so I will
make
my questions brief:

1) When do you expect to support the new syntax.
2) Do you require (and have a place for) an extra developer helping out. I
have
some code that could really benefit from aspects, but it's in 1.5.  I have
7
years java exp under my belt and am willing to pitch in where needed.  As
don't know the code base, I'm probably best used as a code monkey (and am
happy
to be).

Let me know if there's any designed components you can slice off and send
my way
for coding and an eta on 1.5 would also be appreciated.

Cheers
Adam