RE: [aspectj-dev] Plural of "advice"

In English, the word "advice" doesn't have a plural, as such.  It's a
collective word somewhat like "air" or "justice".  So I might say things
about

  * some advice
  * some air
  * some justice

or, if I were to pick out one thing, I would say

  * a piece of advice
  * a cubic centimeter of air
  * an act of justice

It sounds weird to my English-speaking ear to hear things like

  * advices
  * airs
  * justices

So yes, you could say that "pieces of advice" is correct and "advices" is
incorrect.  My personal feeling is that even though "advices" is technically
incorrect English, it can't be misunderstood and it's _much_ easier for
non-English-speakers to write.  So I'm fine _reading_ it even though I
wouldn't personally _write_ it.

-erik

(yes, one can talk about "justices" and "airs" when talking about judges or
classical pieces, respectively, but these are different beasts).