Re: [aspectj-dev] Extended pointcut definitions with metadata for Tiger release?

> I was wondering if there will be enhancements to the pointcut model in
> AspectJ that allow matching against certain metadata tags. Say e.g.
someone
> wanted to match on all calls to methods marked with @Caching, I would
like
> to have the option to use something like:

This is in plan for the AspectJ "Java 5" support - there were a number of
early discussions on this list in the planning phases of the 1.2 release:
look for posts on type pattern extensions, these also discussed possible
ways of matching join points based on annotations. In short, we plan to
support both annotation matching at join points, and also a "declare
annotation" mechanism. We haven't discussed binding annotation context
information to formals in the advice, but it's something I've thought
about a little and can see why you would want it. The design for this has
yet to be done.

Both JBoss AOP and AspectWerkz have some support for pointcuts that match
on attributes, so you can get a feel for how it might look.

I'm always interested in user input on how folks would like annotation
matching to work in the language....

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Eric Bodden <eric@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
28/06/2004 00:11
Please respond to
aspectj-dev

aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-dev] Extended pointcut definitions with metadata for Tiger
release?

Hi, altogether.

I was wondering if there will be enhancements to the pointcut model in
AspectJ that allow matching against certain metadata tags. Say e.g.
someone
wanted to match on all calls to methods marked with @Caching, I would like
to have the option to use something like:

call(@Caching * *.*(..))

Second question: If so, will one be able to pass attributes of those
annotations through to advice ("expose" them). E.g. if somebody declared
@Caching(STRATEGY_1), I would like to be able to expose STRATEGY_1 as
usual.

Is such an extended model being planned or even specified already?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric Bodden