Re: [aspectj-dev] Can I "generate" with aspectJ

> You can use inter-type declarations as follows:
> public class info {
>   public String firstName;
> }
> public aspect InfoProperties {
>
>   public String info.getFirstName() {}
>   public void info.setFirstName(String fName) { firstName = fName; }
> }

One minor note: the "getFirstName()" method implemented above should
"return firstName;".

This does bring up an question, though: Can public data be more
acceptable, in your opinion, in an aspect-oriented program? It could
actually be more or less synactic-sugar, because all gets/sets could be
pre-empted to call full advice bodies instead. The only disadvantage I
would see with public data like this is that it's harder to detect
invariants in you code: instead of merely seeing "oh, this is private, so
I need only look in this file" you would have to search for aspects
(which, if anyone follows me to this point, is another gotcha with AOP:
with inter-type declarations, many more invariant cases cannot be known
by just looking at a single file).

Thanks,
Macneil

Back to the top