[aspectj-dev] AspectJ 1.2 release candidate 1 now available.

We are pleased to announce that the first release candidate for AspectJ-1.2 is now available from the download page at
 http://eclipse.org/aspectj
or directly from
 http://download.eclipse.org/technology/ajdt/aspectj-1.2rc1.jar

We hope to release 1.2 shortly. Now is the time to upgrade your old 1.1.1-based projects and help us work out any last bugs before the 1.2.0 final release.

The definition of the AspectJ language is unchanged in the 1.2 release. Instead, AspectJ 1.2 provides major improvements to the functionality of the supporting tools. Compilation times are greatly reduced, error messages have been improved, incremental compilation support is extended, and the ajdoc tool is back. Detailed release notes for all these updates and more are available at:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/~checkout~/aspectj-home/doc/README-12.html

Patches and contributions were submitted by George Harley, Matthew Webster, and Martin Lippert. We are always very grateful for these contributions that help improve the compiler and supporting tools.

Easy to reproduce bugs were submitted by Nicholas Lesiecki, Ramnivas Laddad, Ron Bodkin, Sian Whiting, Eric Bodden, Mariano Ceccato, Antti Karanta, Umit Vardar, Nick Brett, Miguel Monteiro, Rafael Chaves, Eric Jain, Arno Schmidmeier, Attila Lendvai, and Daniel McAllansmith.  We recognize the difficulty of producing clear minimal test cases from bugs found in large systems and appreciate the work that goes into these reports.

We appreciate your help in squashing any bugs in this release before 1.2.0 (please also try out the new ajdoc on your projects).  If you find any bugs, please submit a reproducible test case to http://dev.eclipse.org (-> Bug Reports) (product AspectJ, component Compiler).

Thanks and stay in touch,
The AspectJ Team