Re: [aspectj-dev] incompatibility between 1.1 and 1.2 ?

>This is my setting:
>- compile aspect with AspectJ 1.1 and -noweave
>- load-time weave that aspect into several classes with AspectJ 1.2
>weaver code
>- result: VerifyError
The LTW tests for AspectJ do not use "-noweave". I build my test
applications and aspect library separately ensuring applications are not
exposed to the weaver. You may get warnings that can be turned off with
-Xlint.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Martin Lippert <lippert@xxxxxxx>@eclipse.org on 15/04/2004 16:52:55

Please respond to aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

To:    AspectJ Dev List <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc:
Subject:    [aspectj-dev] incompatibility between 1.1 and 1.2 ?

Hi,

I updated my load-time weaving implementation for the Eclipse runtime to
the current CVS version of the weaver. Everything seems to work fine
except from aspects that are compiled with the -noweave option and
AspectJ 1.1 (I had to do this for load-time weaving with AspectJ 1.1).

This is my setting:
- compile aspect with AspectJ 1.1 and -noweave
- load-time weave that aspect into several classes with AspectJ 1.2
weaver code
- result: VerifyError

This setting works:
- compile aspect with AspectJ 1.1 *without* -noweave option
- load-time weave that aspect into several classes with AspectJ 1.2
weaver code
- result: everything works fine

Is this an incompatibility between 1.1 and 1.2? Does this happen to
library aspects, too? (library aspects with 1.2 that are compiled with
1.1)? If this is the case, it should be mentioned somewhere in the doc.

Best regards,
-Martin

P.S.: BTW: What are the code changes that make the weaving performance
improvements? (Just asking because I do not observe any performance
improvements in my case, but maybe I did the same optimisations within
my 1.1 weaving code... ;-)