RE: [aspectj-dev] UML for AspectJ

aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote:

> Hello, I am very new to AspectJ and AOP in general.  I am
> wondering if there is any sort of UML specification for AOP.
> Specifically, can an AO design fit with a normal OO class
> design?  My understanding of AOP is that an aspect is
> actually a class(or maybe that a class can hold multiple aspects).
> Any ideas?
Usually UML does not fit quite well because aspects are designed to
_crosscut_ thorugh classes. You could see them as some kind of filter lying
over your whole class hierarchy. Thus UML does not fit very well I'd say.
The only useful visualization I know is the one provided by the Aspect
Browser or AJDT tools respectively.

HTH,
Eric

--