From: discuss-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:discuss-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Laurie Hendren
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 2:20 AM
To: Pan-Wei Ng
Cc: discuss@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aosd-discuss] Performance Studies on AspectJ

In recent work we have started the process of defining appropriate
dynamic measurements and dynamic metrics to evaluate the performance
and behaviour of AspectJ programs.    We have applied our approach on
a selection of benchmarks to illustrate our ideas,  and we can show
some potential performance bottlenecks.

A significant portion of the bottlenecks can be avoided by adopters
who have an appropriate understanding of the current AspectJ best practice,
others can be improved via compilation techniques. Our tools are intended
to help extend such understanding for particular applications by exposing
the
bottlenecks to the users and compiler writers.

Clearly this is only a start,  and we continue to work on our ideas
and make a more comprehensive set of benchmarks and metrics.   We are
welcome to comments,  and also would greatly appreciate more benchmark
programs.

A technical report version of our work is available at:

http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/publications/techreports/#report2003-8

Cheers, Laurie

| Laurie Hendren, Professor, Computer Science, McGill University |
| Visiting Fellow, Oxford University Computing Laboratory,       |
| Wolfson Building, Parks Road         Fax: +44 (0) 1865 273839  |
| Oxford, UK  OX1 3QD    Tel: +44 1865 283551, 01865 283551 (UK) |
| hendren@xxxxxxxxxxxx       http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/~hendren |