[aspectj-dev] Re: [aspectj-users] Plans for the next release of AspectJ...

This sounds like a good plan. Here are some thoughts:

1. I'd like to see enh #42743 addressed along with any change to declare soft (as in). It's a P2 for me: I find the code the results from implementing an error handling policy that softs many types of exceptions to be awful, because there no way to prevent AJ from softening and resoftening it's own SoftExceptions! I would support changing declare soft so that it ONLY affects checked exceptions; would anyone object vociferously to that? I see that as a logical combination with 45231. I also added some comments to 45231, to suggest allowing calling a method to determine what exception to throw, rather than returning a constant type.

2. I'd also really like to see 48091 get addressed in this round: lazy instantiation of join points would be a major performance optimization for aspects for early adoption cases: including capturing args to a method exec that throws an exception (you only want to pay the price when an exception is thrown), to tracing (only when enabled), etc.

3. Related to 41952, I'd like to see a TypePattern operator -, which is the opposite of +. This will let you talk about methods defined on a given type without being vulnerable to pull up refactorings breaking the code, e.g., you write a PCD with a signature like * MyClass.foo(..) or * MyClass.*(..)). Then someone refactors and makes MyClass extend Abstract, and pulls foo up to be defined in Abstract. Now your PCD breaks! Now, in a dynamic context the better alternative might be to use something like this(MyClass) && execution(* foo(..)), but this won't help in withincode nor for static methods.

If you could write * MyClass-.foo(..) or * MyClass-.*(..) your pointcut would be more robust; the refactoring wouldn't cause problems. It would also avoid surprises when you override a method and suddenly it IS captured by the PCD.

The bigger question is whether this MyClass- behavior should be a default (maybe the current behavior could be defined as exactly(MyClass).foo or MyClass defines foo or ???).

Ron

Ron Bodkin

Chief Technology Officer

New Aspects of Security