Re: [aspectj-dev] -inpath ??

It sounds to me like you're already at the right solution:

- -injars will be supported but deprecated until we think
  no one's using it and bother to take it out.

- a new option -inpath will also take directories

- docs, test, and support:
  - devguide updates
  - readme for 1.2?
  - harness support
  - minimal test cases
  - ant task/doc updates
  - AJDE updates

In the past, changing a compiler option has not made one
responsible for all the downstream changes.

Wes

Andrew Clement wrote:
Hi,

As some of you know, I am looking at this feature. The idea is that we want to remove the requirement that users package
up class files into a jar in order to do binary weaving.
(Today, once they are packaged they are passed in on the -injars parameter)

I just prototyped the support for allowing directories to be
passed in, in addition to jars.  This means the compiler
will weave into any class files it finds in the directory
tree specified. I just can't decide on the externals and am after some opinions.

My prototype extended -injars so that it allowed directories
as well as zips/jars - so in fact -injars supports something
like the classpath format now "a.zip;c:\mydir;b.jar".  It
runs like this:

ajc -injars c:\MyEclipseJavaProjectBinDir TracingAspect.java
Now, if only it was -inpath ...

So these are the options I see:
- Add a brand new -inpath option that supercedes -injars
- Rename -injars to -inpath
- Just leave it as prototyped where -injars has a 'looser'
  (misleading!) meaning.

I'm worried about the impact on:
- migration of stuff already out there using the old option.
- documentation of the option
- amount of extra work I have to do !!! :)

thanks,
Andy.
AJDT Development

Back to the top