Re: [aspectj-dev] how much is dynamic?

AspectJ works by modifying the classes, and AspectJ 1.1
can work from source code or .class files.

For technical details on what input classes are required,
see the implementation limitations appendix of the
AspectJ Programming Guide.

Otherwise, the FAQ and Programming Guide are probably
the best place to start reading about AspectJ.  They
are linked from

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/aspectj-home/doc/index.html

(Questions about what AspectJ is and how to use it are
best addressed to aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx.)

Thanks -
Wes

P.S. - How did you find out about AspectJ?

Luca Ferrari wrote:
Hello to everyone,
I'm new to the AspectJ world, hence my questions could be trivial. If so please apologize myself, I'm just trying to understand. I've read the paper "An overview of AspectJ" and I cannot understand if the aspect weaver is dynamic or not. IN the paper the author talks about an aspect compiler, but is it a compiler at the same level of the javac compiler? I mean : is it possible to take a (ordinary) compiled class and load it (into a running JVM) "attaching" aspetcs to it, or I need to recompile the class starting from the source? I know that the main advantage of aspects is to fuse crosscuts without requiring source code alerations, but my question is related to the use of apsect starting from an alredy compiled class.

Thanks,
Luca

Back to the top