[aspectj-dev] how much is dynamic?

Hello to everyone,
I'm new to the AspectJ world, hence my questions could be trivial. If so
please apologize myself, I'm just trying to understand.
I've read the paper  "An overview of AspectJ" and I cannot understand if the
aspect weaver is dynamic or not. IN the paper the author talks about an
aspect compiler, but is it a compiler at the same level of the javac
compiler? I mean : is it possible to take a (ordinary) compiled class and
load it (into a running JVM) "attaching" aspetcs to it, or I need to
recompile the class starting from the source? I know that the main advantage
of aspects is to fuse crosscuts without requiring source code alerations, but
my question is related to the use of apsect starting from an alredy compiled
class.

Thanks,
Luca

--