Re: [aspectj-dev] Themes for AspectJ 1.2

Enterprise support is very interesting to me, in part because of current "day job" projects, but also because it will teach us a lot about building aspect "components" and how to make aspects first-class architecture elements like classes, and not just "things we apply to classes". In other words, I see this exercise as important for advancing the theory and practice of AOSD.

A standard library would also be valuable. Even if it is kept somewhat "unofficial" at this point, example aspects are really helpful for learning and reuse.

dean

Adrian Colyer wrote:

Now that AspectJ 1.1.1 is out, it's time to turn our attention to 1.2. This post is to start a discussion about possible themes and priorities for the 1.2 release. The eventual plan will be influenced by AspectJ's users, it's developers, and of course which items contributors will sign up to implement - so anything we discuss here should not be treated as a plan commitment at this stage. I'm including all project tasks, not just those that might involve writing code.

With that said, here are some candidate themes to start the discussion (not an ordered list):

* AspectJ for the Enterprise

This theme could include adding (and developing) material for the website / docs / ... explaining how to use AspectJ with various app servers and J2EE technologies. A classloader would come under this category too, and perhaps even a set of samples or an aspect library for working with AspectJ in J2EE.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

--
Dean Wampler, Ph.D.