[aspectj-dev] compiler warning candidates

1) If org.apache.log4j.Category defines a method info (among many others). Logger extends Category. Writing call(* Logger.info(..)) matches nothing, even a call of logger.info("sample"). One should write call(* info(..)) && target(Logger). This is at least worth a warning. This is a particularly good example because the Category base class is _deprecated_ and obscure so it is brittle to write call(* Category.info(..)).

2) it would be nice for the compiler to warn if there are redundant pointcuts listed in a conjunction or disjunction (e.g., pc1() && pc1() and also call(* foo()) || call(* foo())). I had a copy/paste error where I forgot to edit the pasted value from a set to a get and there's never a _reason_ to list the same thing twice.

Ron

Ron Bodkin
Chief Technology Officer
New Aspects of Security