RE: [aspectj-dev] reporting fix delivery version

Adrian’s target milestone suggestions look good to me.  I will request them unless someone sends revisions or objections by this Friday.

Mik

From: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adrian Colyer
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:01 PM
To: aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; ajdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

The bugzilla help for "target milestone" says:

'For open bugs this field indicates the milestone the bug is planned to be fixed in. For bugs marked as RESOLVED with resolution FIXED this field indicates the milestone the bug was actually fixed in. '

So this is clearly bugzilla's architected way of doing this, It's a great idea though to start using this field - we have sometimes been lax about tracking this in AJDT and it makes preparing the release notes etc. very hard. Looking at the bugzilla setup for JDT (useful to mirror) they have:

Versions:
2.0.1
2.0.2
2.1
2.1.1
3.0

Target Milestones:
2.0 M1
2.0 M6
2.0.1
2.0.2
2.1 M1
2.1 MX
2.1 RC1
2.1 RC2
2.1.1
3.0 M1
3.0 M5

etc.

For AspectJ we have versions:
1.0.6
1.1.0
1.1.1
unspecified

and no defined milestones

For AJDT we have no defined versions or milestones.

To get additional versions and milestones added, we send a request to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx. It's worth a quick discussion about what we would like before we do that.

Considering only the AspectJ project for the moment, we should probably add:

versions:
1.2

target milestones:
1.1.1 RC1
1.1.1
1.2 M1
1.2 M2
1.2 M3
1.2 RC1
1.2 RC2

(in the absence of a milestone plan being laid out for 1.2, this should be plenty to cover us for now - trying to strike a balance between asking for updates every 5 minutes and creating too many unused target milestones). Note that this will also enable us to track feature requests etc. as 'enhancement' bugs and use the target milestone to record our plan for when they will be included (or use version unspecified if we haven't commited them to a plan yet).

AJDT is slighty more complex.

The current released version is 1.1.3, and we're working on 1.1.4. It's confusing that the AspectJ and AJDT version numbers are so close and yet have different meanings. We have to rev at least the service number every time we put out a release in order for the Live Update to pick up and install the new version. For the 1.1.x stream I think we have no choice but to leave things as they are. I'm open to suggestions as to how best to handle this for the 1.2 stream...

We should clearly ask for at least versions 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 to be created, and target milestones 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 also.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Wes Isberg <wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx