[aspectj-dev] AspectJ Documentation Tool - Requirements, Suggestions, Comments ?

Hi everyone,

First of all, a quick note of thanks to everyone that was involved in getting the AJDT to work on OS X, I am eagerly waiting to download the point release next week to get my own copy and start developing at home... one day I'll get a life, just maybe not today....;o)

The following is a brief summary of my own thoughts on an AspectJ Documentation tool for AspectJ 1.1.1 and beyond. The information is based on some brief online conversations as to the different directions the tool could take technically and the particular functionality that it should have. This is obviously by no means a comprehensive or even 100% accurate specification, just something to get the ball rolling and hopefully to trigger some discussion.

If anyone has more to add (or corrections to any errors I may have made ;) then please post it to the list. Hopefully we can come up with clear understanding of what everyone needs from this tool so that we can begin to get started.

Required Features (Wishlist)

JavaDoc format documentation with tracing through from aspect declrations to the specific areas of code that are advised. Integration with other JavaDoc documentation for seamless browsing of OO and AO documentation. Possible generation of XML format documentation for other static structure clients, with optional XSLT to standard HMTL JavaDoc documentation.

Technical Architecture

Base the tool on hacking the existing ajdoc tool.
Base the tool on an upgrade to XDoclet.
Base the tool on JavaDoc hover technologies currently available in Eclipse.

Not much to go on at the moment. I am currently busy looking at the sources that are available but I haven't unfortunately had much time to come to any real conclusions.

So, over to the open forum - anyone got comments and more feedback on what we should do about an ajdoc-like tool? Does anyone have any code that does something like what we may be looking for (within the existing architectural ideas I noted above or something else completely different).

Cheers

Russ

Back to the top