Re: [aspectj-dev] interfaces, pointcuts, and libraries

It is exactly considerations such as these that motivated the proposal for extensible pointcuts. They would allow one to use an abstractly defined pointcut outside the scope of an abstract aspect. They are not quite as powerful as some alternative ideas for separating aspect interface and implementation (e.g., Caesar's), but would be tremendously valuable.

Because it's fairly hard to dig the discussion out of the old users@xxxxxxxxxxx archives, I've attached two emails from the most relevant discussion thread as background reading :-) Jim - as we look forward to AspectJ 1.2, it would be great if you could post the old list of feature candidates for 1.1 (I believe you wrote more detail on this feature that almost made it).

Ron

Ron Bodkin
Chief Technology Officer
New Aspects of Security
m: (415) 509-2895

--- Begin Message ---
Hello,

Here is a more concrete example, ...
What I have created by simplifing actual code from one of our finished projects.
I replaced all the real interactions with the ODBMS through system.out.println() calls.

Note: In the real project, there were a bunch of  classes like ServiceElements,
(more complex calculations, more methods, more dataelements,
all stored persistently in an Objectivity database).
Each having its corrsponding <>PersistenceAdapter.

Note1:
The actual example does not work as expected, see the previous mails in this thread, ...
However I hope it gives you an good understanding about the intention.

Note 2:
I found the pattern also in other scenarious, e.g. at the ORB integration, etc.

public class AbstractPointCutReuserTest {

        ServiceElement Element=new ServiceElement();
        Element.setActive(true);
        System.out.println("The Element is Active:"+Element.isActive());
    }
}

class ServiceElement{
    public void setActive(boolean Active){
        this.Active=Active;
    }

    public boolean isActive(){
        return Active;
    }

    boolean Active=false;
}

abstract aspect AbstractPersistenceAdapter{

    public abstract pointcut WritingMethods();

    public abstract pointcut ReadingMethods();

    public pointcut ExternalWMethods();

    public pointcut ExternalRMethods();

    before(): WritingMethods(){
        System.out.println("Must execute markModified on"+thisJoinPoint.getTarget());
        System.out.println("Transaction Must be open");
    }

    before(): ReadingMethods(){
        System.out.println("Must execute markModified on"+thisJoinPoint.getTarget());
        System.out.println("Transaction Must be open");
    }
}

aspect ServiceElementPersistenceAdapter extends AbstractPersistenceAdapter{
    public pointcut WritingMethods():execution(* ServiceElement.setActive(boolean));

    public pointcut ReadingMethods():execution(* ServiceElement.isActive());
}

abstract aspect TransactionAdapter dominates PersistenceAdapter{

    pointcut pc():AbstractPersistenceAdapter.ExternalWMethods()||AbstractPersistenceAdapter.ExternalRMethods();

    Object around(): pc(){
        System.out.println("Open TransAction");
        Object obj=proceed();
        System.out.println("Close Transaction");
        return obj;
    }
}

abstract aspect RetryFailingTransactionHandler dominates TransactionAdapter{
    public static int MAXCOUNT=10;

    pointcut pc():AbstractPersistenceAdapter.ExternalWMethods()||AbstractPersistenceAdapter.ExternalRMethods();

    Object around(): pc(){
        int count=0;
        Object obj=null;
        while(true){
            try{
                obj=proceed();
                break;
            }catch(RuntimeException ex){
                count++;
                ex.printStackTrace();
                if (count>=MAXCOUNT)
                    throw ex;
            }
        }
        return obj;
    }
}

abstract aspect BenchmarkTransactions dominates RetryFailingTransactionHandler{
    public static int MAXCOUNT=10;

    pointcut pc():AbstractPersistenceAdapter.ExternalWMethods()||AbstractPersistenceAdapter.ExternalRMethods();

    Object around(): pc(){
        long first=System.currentTimeMillis();
        Object obj=proceed();
        long later=System.currentTimeMillis();
        System.out.println("Method needed: "+(later-first)+" Milliseconds");
        return obj;
    }
}

regards