Re: [aspectj-dev] Online samples

Sounds good to me!

Time to get working on some samples I guess ;o)

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 06:19  pm, Wes Isberg wrote:

Hi Russell (and Nick)-

I like the idea of a wiki, but I'm not convinced yet.

Russell Miles wrote:
Hi Wez,
Would this site benefit from being a Wiki
> to make it as easy as possible for contributors to add
> their samples etc? This would also make the source
> searchable.

The one HTML page will be organized by application
and should be searchable.

> This would not detract from a more frozen
> programming guide but would benefit from it being as easy
> and as open as possible for people to add their own works
> to the site for consideration as part of the more formal
> programming guide.

To contribute requires only sending an email to the mail
list with the proposed sample.  That way, it's up for
discussion regardless of committer attention, and doesn't
change what users now do.  So it should be easier for
the contributor than a wiki would be.

That way, rather than splitting discussions between the
mail list and a wiki, the mail list continues to host
all discussions.  Plus, users can also find good samples
in one place, with links out to other AspectJ docs
and in from mail lists, etc.

The committers moderate somewhat for quality and
organization, and also can pull samples not originally
intended for the samples page (after emailing the
senders).  I hope contributors find committer moderation
to be quick and to be a benefit rather than a hindrance.

If we get to the point that we have too many contributors
and too much code for this format, or if the committers
are not helping, we'll have to manage our success
differently, perhaps using a wiki.

Sound reasonable?

Wes

Cheers