Re: [aspectj-dev] 1.1.0 release

Thanks for doing this, George. I'm confused, though, because it looks like you ran through the process manually. To release, we have to use the release/build.xml script. In retrospect, I see that I didn't make sure we closed the loop on this earlier, but I've said enough that this shouldn't be a surprise. If necessary we can all discuss further how this confusion happened and whether the script is wise or necessary, but I suspect we'd agree, and it's easier just to run it.

I also wanted to make sure no one assumed that the person doing the release is doing the manual testing. We should all look at the completed checklist and either do undone tests in our areas or assume the risk, with notice to the others (preferably in the checklist itself).

A script is helpful in part as a way to add test requirements to a release, particularly after seeing a release get out untested in some respect. Feel free to add to the script even/esp. in a release cycle (except that if you break it you might have to do the release). In any case, additional testing should not invalidate prior testing, so no release should be delayed for or by an upgrade. On that note, one thing I wanted to add was a link checker. I didn't find one last night, but I'll try to write one today because I found a broken link. I also plan to add per-example ant runs and enable the JDK 1.1 testing.

Thanks -
Wes

George Harley1 wrote:

Hi,

Earlier today I made and tested a 1.1.0 build. The extract was made right after Wes' docs changes. The build output and test results are now available in the CVS folder org.aspectj/releases/aspectj-1.1 . To summarise...

* The JUnit tests all went smoothly apart from the known glitches that came to light earlier this week. * The harness tests all passed successfully across Sun 131, IBM 131 and Sun 141 JVMs. * Installation and post-installation testing was fine on my Windows XP and Linux (Red hat 8.0) machines. If the consensus is that this build is good enough for final release then I can get the aspectj-1.1.0.jar placed on the download site pretty quickly.
Best regards,
George
George C. Harley

Back to the top