Re: [aspectj-dev] ECOOP this year

Martin Lippert wrote:
| I finally succeeded in submitting a demo proposal for ECOOP regarding
| the AspectJ-enabled Eclipse Core Runtime implementation that I

What is that, what does it do?
The AspectJ-enabled Eclipse Core Runtime Platform is a slightly modified but fully compatible Eclipse runtime that uses load-time weaving for AOP. The idea is that a plugin is able to promote an aspect that defines a cross-plugin pointcut. The basic use case for this is that you can develop an application using AspectJ and the Eclipse plugin technology together.

Using this modified runtime you are able, for example, to write a plugin that includes an aspect which logs every method execution inside another plugin or a set of other plugins. You do not need to recompile the other plugins with ajc.

This is possible by splitting the AspectJ development cycle into two parts: (1) compile the aspects and (2) weave them into the system. (1) is still done using ajc oder AJDT. (2) is done at class loading time by the modified Eclipse runtime.

Hope this explains the idea behind it. I am happy to provide additional information as necessary.

Best regards,
Martin

Frank.