Re: [aspectj-dev] 1.1 release tasks

Done:
> (2) The AJDE wrapper is failing some tests in ajcTests.xml.
> (3) document the new Ant forkclasspath option
> (4) document how to run the AspectJ 1.1 compiler with Maven

Todo:
> (1) using build/release/build.xml as the release build/test script

More on (2) The AJDE wrapper is failing some tests in ajcTests.xml:
No showstoppers, some possible bugs in areas where we've accepted
bugs. I'll add list of "known failures" to releases/aspectj-1.1
(and/or to tests/ ?), in case I add the -ajdeCompiler variant to
the build/release/build.xml script.  See details below.

Anyone is welcome to verify them as known limitations or bugs and
update the tests or bug db accordingly.  Run the harness with
-ajctestTitleList={listOfTestTitles} to run only the failing tests.

Wes

---- details on AJDE wrapper Results

- some produce different but correct text in their messages.
  These are marked "knownLimitation-ajdeCompiler" because we
  don't now have a way to specify messages on a per-compiler basis.

- one test produces no messages where one is expected.
  Not sure if this is the policy for AJDE to ignore null
  set for compiles for integration reasons
  - test "CLE: no sources"

- deprecation is enabled for some reason - see
  test "options -warn:deprecation not enabled"
  This isn't our policy, but nor is it harmful.

- Some of the incremental tests fail.  I've verified that they
  are staged correctly.  The wrapper uses the same API's as the
  GUI, and the same scenario:
  (0) all options in the config file
  (1) set the config file
  (2) do a fresh build the first time
  (3) update the staging directory
  (4) do rebuild

  So the tests and testware look correct, but I haven't stepped
  through them to verify.  In any case, we are accepting
  other bugs in the AJDE incremental support, so even
  if these were AJDE bugs, they are not showstoppers.

  Failing tests:
  - "expect class added in initial incremental tests"
  - "delete source file before incremental compile"
  - "do everything in default package (sourceroots)"

Wes Isberg wrote:
fyi, I'm still working on a few things before the 1.1 release.
Some things might interest those of you also working on the release.
I plan to work on these tomorrow, and will email when I'm done.

(1) using build/release/build.xml as the release build/test script
This is mostly working, but I plan to test more and add:
  (a) harness runs with the -ajctaskCompiler option, since
      the Ant task adapter now runs the tests in ajcTests.xml
  (b) 1.3 and 1.4 variants, to test under both
  (c) a separate list of manual test steps
      - required are those already listed/agreed by all
      - suggested is just a bucket for things to do

I propose we use this, and not the manual script, for the final
release, for all the usual reason (repeatability, automation...).

(2) The AJDE wrapper is failing some tests in ajcTests.xml.
I haven't investigated yet to determine if it's a wrapper
problem or if AJDE is ignoring some options.  To test, use

    {harness} -ajdeCompiler ajcTests.xml ...

where {harness} is

    java -jar ../aj-build/jars/testing-drivers-all.

(3) document the new Ant forkclasspath option

(4) document how to run the AspectJ 1.1 compiler with Maven

(5) follow-up/help if Erik wants it on the README, etc.
doc changes

(6) review the faq again

Wes