RE: [aspectj-dev] rc2 **Preview Build #4** and new failures (!)

George Harley1 wrote:
> So now the latest 1.1rc2 build passes all of its tests (including
> installation and post-install tests) but with a tweak to the harness
> testing that masks the classpath problem highlighted by Wes. What is the
> consensus on the validity of these tests and hence of this build as our
> rc2

I think that your harness fix is adequate, but I hope that Wes can come up with a better solution for these two test cases.  If he has the chance to do that today or over the weekend that would be ideal.  Otherwise, you should commit your changes to the harness on Monday.

Unfortunately, we need to do one more build for 1.1rc2.  I just fixed two bugs in the tree, one of which was very serious.

Wes's report about "incremental not resolving unmodified types" and the two test cases he added showed a serious bug in incremental compilation involving types spread across several packages.  The bad code even had a '!!!' scare comment in it indicating where the fix was needed (in org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.core.builder.StatefulNameEnvironment):

----
public boolean isPackage(char[][] parentPackageName, char[] packageName) {
    //!!! need to use cache here too
----
Unsurprisingly, the fix was to use the cache of types from the previous compile to find packages as well as types.

I also fixed a bug that I noticed running allTests in -emacssym mode where the message:
  > unmatched relation: preinitialization
was printed 100s of times to System.err.

I fixed this by updating the huge case in org.aspectj.weaver.AsmAdaptor to be aware of this shadow type.  This is a less serious bug, but the change was sufficiently small and local that I believe it was worth doing.

If anyone has a problem with either of these two bug fixes, speak now.  Otherwise, I believe we're still on track for a final build of 1.1rc2 on Monday in Hursley to be followed by some final checking and a release announcement from California.

-Jim

Back to the top