commit rules for 1.1final release (was: RE: [aspectj-dev] Problem s getting 'non-incremental' to work in AJDT)

All committers should follow the following rules (proposed by Adrian Colyer).  These rules will be in effect from right now through the 1.1rc2 release and continue until we have 1.1final out the door.

Changes should only be committed for the following reasons:
> * to fix an accepted P1 or P2 bug tracked on bugzilla,
> * to fix a failing test case,
> * or, some other worthy cause discussed and agreed on this list

Notice that the last category leaves room for any change so long as it's discussed and agreed on by the members of this list.  I'll be the final arbiter for anything in the last category that doesn't reach consensus quickly.

After 1.1final is released we can start adding new features and fixing non-critical issues again.

> Once we get beyond 1.1.0, we should look at fencing the relevant portions
> of ajde in with some clearly defined test-cases and interfaces, and then
> take a step back and think through the design of ajde to fully support
> incremental.

This sounds right, although the fencing might be difficult.

One option is to go the heavy-duty eclipse integration route of modifying jdt.core and jdt.ui to provide the needed functionality while trying to maintain all of the existing java functionality.  The compiler has been designed to make that as easy as possible and making this really work might be the most effective use of people's time.  I'd be happy to join a discussion about what this might look like after 1.1final.

-Jim

PS - In the future we will be more proactive about this policy and insist on the rules above starting with any candidate release.

Back to the top