RE: [aspectj-dev] Problems getting 'non-incremental' to work in A JDT

> I'm going to check in a different change that creates a new AjState object whenever
> doing a batch build.  I can be much more confident that this will be like restarting the
> compiler - which is the desired behavior for this case.  This will also address the concerns
> you have in your other message about implicit initialization assumptions in this class.

That works great Jim - thanks.

> The only testing that I've done for incremental compilation is based on the
> command-line compiler where the only way to do a full re-build after the first build is
> by ending the process and starting the compiler again.  So, I'm not too surprised
> that there are issues using the compiler in this way from ajde.

Well, we've done some basic testing so far.  it looks vaguely reasonable for what we
are probably going to call an experimental feature - you can turn on incremental and
play but your structure view and task list will mess up.  If you want to get back to a
consistent mode of operation - just do a full build and the task list and view recover.

> Note: Incremental compilation is hard.  It took a couple of months to implement
> correctly for the compiler and the weaver - and I'm still confident that bugs remain
> to be found.  I wouldn't be surprised if incremental structure building turns out to be
> hard as well.

I don't doubt that incremental compilation was a hard thing to develop - and if the
incremental structure view is going to be hard .... I'll wait for Mik to do it :)

cheers,
Andy.

Back to the top