[aspectj-dev] significant changes moving to eclipse-2.1

I've spent the last 4 nights moving the AspectJ compiler to the eclipse-2.1 code base (from eclipse-2.0.0).  This was motivated by the recent odd bug report about problems running on the latest apple JVM.  This bug and hundreds of other similarly obscure bugs are fixed in the latest eclipse version and it's important for us to take advantage of those fixes and improvements.

I've learned a lot of lessons and made many changes to reduce the degree of coupling between AspectJ and JDT so that future "upgrades" should be much easier.  I'll capture those lessons in a README in the tree very soon.

I need to take a break from this for a few days, but I want to make sure y'all are aware of a few issues in the current cvs HEAD.

Everyone: incremental compilation doesn't work in the current cvs HEAD -- it always recompiles every file.  This will be fixed next week.  There is a promised file in shadows/README.html explaining the new way of working with org.eclipse.jdt.core.  This file will show up early next week.

Wes (and Everyone): I might have broken the build process by replacing the org.eclipse.jdt.core module with a single jdtcore.jar.  Let me know if this is a problem and if you'd like me to restructure anything to help fix it.

Mik & Adrian: I had to make a few changes to ajde, particularly to progress monitoring.  I ran the unit tests successfully, but I thought you should be aware of the changes to your code.

-Jim

PS - This is not the sort of change that I would usually consider doing between rc1 and rc2.  I believe that the benefits of incorporating all of the eclipse JDT folks' bug fixes will outweigh the stability issues of such a significant change; however, this was a very close call.

PPS - Beyond bug fixes, an additional reason for staying in sync with the JDT releases is so that when all the new language features come out in Java-1.5 we'll be able to quickly incorporate them into AspectJ.

Back to the top