[aspectj-dev] AspectJ 1.1rc1 & AJDT 1.1.1

So here it is... the finally final AspectJ 1.1rc1 and Eclipse AspectJ
Development Tools v1.1.1 release.

When we ran the additional tests this morning on last nights build... they
all failed!

First, Jim had tried to catch us out by slipping in a test that depended on
a 1.4 API   ;-)
(recall the outstanding test was to run ajcTests on a 1.3VM) . Once we got
over the shock of seeing an unexpected fail and came round to realising
why, things were going better... but then the showstopper: Turns out if you
compile AspectJ with the SUN JDK 1.4.1 compiler, it produces an ajc that
creates class files that will not run on a 1.1.8 JRE (class load error due
to bad major version number). [must add that to the list of gotchas]

So we respun everything compiling with 1.3.1.07 and all tests came through
clean again. Interesting side discovery on the 1 "expected" failure in the
ajcTests.xml run :- this test passes with a Sun JDK 1.4.1, but fails on IBM
JDK 1.4.0 or Sun JDK 1.3.1.07 (so I'm guessing you're on Sun JDK 1.4.1 Jim,
which is why you don't see the fail).

All the binaries etc. are uploaded and re-tested, and I deleted the
premature v1_1_0RC1 tag from the 13th and retagged the current v1_1_0RC1 in
its place.  We really should be ready to release this time! :-)

Having been through the process several time in the last few days, we have
a good check-list and routine worked out, which I will post alongside the
build-and-test notes as soon as I get a moment. Many of the steps are now
amenable to being automated, so post AOSD we may try to put together a
"release.xml" Ant script that goes through the various stages, and creates
the appropriate logs in the releases directory etc.,.If we can automate
enough to be useful,we have a server here that we can investigate using for
a daily-build-and-smoke test - we'll do a full CVS extract, build and test
each night, and post the test results and binaries back to some
"latest-build" location. (And we hope to do the same for AJDT).

Have fun!
--Adrian.
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top