Re: [aspectj-dev] Changes to master build file? (aspectjtools doubled in size!)

Problem solved :) ... the problem was in the way the IBM JDK is now
packaged: instead of a single "rt.jar" there are multiple jar files, with
the main runtime classes in "core.jar."   Several of the projects use swing
libraries, which aren't in "core.jar" but are in "graphics.jar." Putting
graphics.jar in the classpath of these projects caused the build to include
all of its content (about 5MB) in the built jar files. The solution was to
remove the JRE lib entry from the projects, and instead use the eclipse
"Add Library" option (which adds all of the jars in the JDK library). This
allows the compilation to succeed, using a classpath variable kind that is
not picked up by the ant based build when packaging jars.

I'll add a note to readme-build-and-test-aspectj.html explaining how to
configure the projects in eclipse with an IBM 1.4.x JDK.

Regards,
Adrian.
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

                      Wes Isberg
                      <wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      m>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: [aspectj-dev] Changes to master build file? (aspectjtools doubled in  size!)
                      aspectj-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      06/03/2003 20:26
                      Please respond to
                      aspectj-dev

Hi Adrian -

Adrian Colyer wrote:

> Hi Wes,
> I'm back in the land of the living, and picked up the latest changes
> from CVS today...  the new "release" option for the test harness is
> very nice ;-).  When I run a full build now though (ant -f build.xml
> from the build module) I'm producing an aspectjtools.jar that is
> approximately *double* its normal size (about 10.8MB). It seems to now
> include a whole bunch of JDK classes and other assorted goodies. Has
> there been a change in the main build script?
>
> I did have to switch from a Sun JDK back to an IBM one (both 1.4) to
> get around an eclipse problem I'd been having if that could be the
> culprit?? Other than that, my setup is unchanged from last week apart
> from being at the most recent source levels.
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian.
> Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

It builds to the right size for me.  I'm using Sun's JDK 1.4.1_02.

Some guesses (some wild):

- Your .classpath files are different.
If the rt.jar, etc. look like ordinary external jars,
then the BuildModule task will incorporate them as it
does bcel.jar, etc.  If you run Ant verbosely, then the
zip task created by the builder should emit every entry
added to every {module}.jar and {module}-all.jar:

  [ajbuild-zip] adding {path}...

(Also, the .classpath scanner is extremely stupid...)

- You're using -Dbuild.config=useEclipseCompiles.
This takes *everything* from the project/module bin directory,
including all the test classes from testsrc/ (normally omitted
during compilation of product builds).

- Which javac is Ant using?
It runs javac from the PATH or JAVA_HOME or ??

- Which Ant are you using?
This should work:

  cd build
  ../lib/ant/bin/ant

If it ends up being something worth documenting, please add it
to the "build problems" list at the end of
readme-build-and-test-aspectj.html

Good luck -
Wes