Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ/AJDT/Eclipse

> I'm a little confused over the story between
>
>   AspectJ,
>   AJDT, and
>   Eclipse.

- Eclipse is a software platform.

- JDT is an eclipse project to support Java development.
  JDT has a Java compiler.

- AspectJ 1.1 is built on Eclipse/JDT's Java compiler
  but is distributed and can run standalone.

- AJDT is an eclipse project to integrate AspectJ into Eclipse/JDT
  so you can use Eclipse to develop AspectJ programs.

This is the right level of separation/integration.  AspectJ is
available standalone, and supports external projects doing IDE
integrations in Eclipse, Emacs, JBuilder, and NetBeans.

> P.S. I only need the sources for ajc, but the aspectj-tools-src-1.0.6.tgz file's
> contents are very different than the CVS org.aspectj repository's contents. What
> is the definitive version?

The 1.1 version of AspectJ is built on eclipse's Java compiler,
so the 1.0 and 1.1 sources are almost completely different.

So the definitive version of 1.0 is in aspectj-tools-src-1.0.6.tgz, and
the definitive version of 1.1 is in the eclipse CVS tree.

I hope that answers your questions.
Wes