Re: [aperi-news] New Aperi How-to tutorial and SAN Simulator posted

Allen,
Nice note.  You captured things very well.
You might want to post that to the Aperi blog just to get more exposure.

Cheers,   Tom
Tom Guinane     Aperi Project Lead     IBM ARC     408-927-2104     guinane@xxxxxxxxxx     http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/

Allen Marin/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-news-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/22/2008 08:52 AM

Please respond to
Aperi News <aperi-news@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-news@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-news] New Aperi How-to tutorial and SAN Simulator posted

Happy new year to the Aperi community!

As we begin 2007, I want to acknowledge our many achievements over the last 18 months. The community has come together to deliver four milestone releases since the project was established in June 2006, and we've seen a steady increase in the worldwide interest in the project. I've attached a couple charts that illustrate the monthly trend of Aperi downloads, as well as the countries from which users are downloading the code. You'll notice there is a correlation between the number of downloads and the weeks following our presence at Storage Networking World, where we co-sponsored a small booth and demonstated live code to attendees. The SNW show has been very valuable in allowing us to show storage professionals Aperi's capabilities and educating them on our progress and on how Aperi can help foster interoperability and innovation. Clearly, interest continues to grow, and for that we should feel very proud.

Over the last couple of months, we've also worked hard to create new tools to help folks become more familiar with the Aperi software. For instance, we have just posted the 2nd Flash tutorial to the Aperi
Demo page and the new SAN Simulator to the Downloads page. The Flash tutorial shows how easy it is to use the Aperi GUI to discover and probe elements across the storage environment and is a great complement to the first tutorial, which shows how one can easily download, install, and configure the Aperi software.

For its part, the SAN Simulator is a tool that enables users to simulate a storage area network (SAN) through software. You can create a SAN configuration, add devices to the SAN, create arbitrary connections between devices, and remove connections between devices. The tool aids Aperi development and testing by removing the dependence on device availability, and we're working on another Flash tutorial to show how one can easily use it for this purpose. If you've seen the new tutorials or have downloaded the simulator tool, please consider sharing your thoughts with the community. Together, we'll continue to enhance the code and make the framework easier to use.

Again, thanks to everyone for your involvement and contributions over the last 18 months and let's continue pressing for increased interoperability across the industry in the years to come.

Best regads,

Allen