[aperi-news] Adoption of Aperi...

Below is a great discussion starter by Todd.  I want to make sure folks on this mailing list have the chance to respond as well...

Cheers,   Tom
Tom Guinane     Aperi Project Lead     IBM ARC     408-927-2104     guinane@xxxxxxxxxx     http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/

----- Forwarded by Tom Guinane/San Jose/IBM on 08/23/2007 01:50 PM -----
Todd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/23/2007 12:30 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-dev] Adoption of Aperi...

Hello All,
This post is intended to stimulate some open, candid discussion about the adoption of Aperi.  This is especially important as we head into 2008 - we need to make sure that, as a community, we are adding value to Aperi in such a way to help drive adoption.  So please chime in with your thoughts and incites.

What does Aperi need to be in order to add value to your organization?
 This is the fundamental question that needs to answered by all members of the community.  Does Aperi need to be a competitive end-user product for IT storage administrators?  Does it need to gain a strong end-user following like Nagios and Apache did (producing demand from customers)?  Does Aperi need to be a collection of easily consumed components?  If so, what does 'easily consumable' mean for you?  Does Aperi need to focus more on SAN simulation (or other support tools) and less on a real-time management application?  Is your organization interested in adopting the entire code base, rebranding it, and selling it as a commercial offering?

Answering these questions will help us focus our efforts and ensure that Aperi produces value for participating members.

What has your experience done for your organization so far?
Have you attempted to adopt Aperi?  Have you attempted to use Aperi?  If so, what were your first impressions?  Did your experience help or hurt?
The download, install, and run process has been painful for many for a number of reasons (many of them legal).  However, this experience continues to improve and should be much less painful with the upcoming builds and releases.  However, do share your thoughts.

What does 'adoption' mean for your organization?

Aperi has several cool features (topology viewer, discovery, reporting, etc.).  However, we know that cool does not equal useful and free does not equal valuable.  So what would be substantially useful and valuable to your organization - enough to drive adoption?  Do share.

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Menlo Park, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx