RE: [aperi-news] Query about academic project ideas

> I would like to understand more about the requirements of Storage Network Environment Simulator and Automated Testing environment.

A major issue in development and testing of Storage Resource Management systems is the availability of test hardware. CPUs may be cheap and plentiful these days, but intelligent, high capacity storage subsystems and fiber channel switches are still premium devices. This is a particular problem in open source development where individual developers and their respective institutions may not have the resources to obtain access to expensive gadgets.

My vision is a completely self contained simulated SAN environment suitable for development and testing in a purely virtual setting. Such a setup would be suitable for unit testing, pre-checkin smoke testing, and nightly build testing via an automated test suite.

The elements of such a system would be as follows:
1) simulated SMI-S devices (providers) created via a device simulation framework capable of capturing the state of an existing device or creating a device 'from scratch' via a specification language. This is in the works already, but work is needed to add more devices, etc.
2) Simulated in-band and out-of-band devices and a fully simulated SAN topology.This would build upon and work in addition to the SMI-S device simulator to provide a complete end-to-end simulation for topology and datapath analysis.
3) For automated testing: 'headless' install, and a test harness for running and analyzing test results unattended
4) A fully functioning CLI to drive the product through its major capabilities without the GUI.

And, of course, a battery of tests to run in that test harness. Three sets I think: 1) quick smoke test for verification, 2) Nightly test 2-3 hours worth, 3) Stress and/or comprehensive test 24-48 hours worth.

Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM (dwolfe@xxxxxxxxxx) TL: 775-3376 Office: 503-578-3376 Personal: 503-329-3960

UI Technical Lead, Aperi Open Source Storage Management http://www.eclipse.org/aperi

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals." - Igor Stravinsky

"Vijayprasad Srinivasan, TLS-Chennai" <vijayprasads@xxxxxx>

08/05/2007 09:40 PM

"Aperi News" <aperi-news@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
<aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
RE: [aperi-news] Query about academic project ideas

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Please have a look at my clarification inline.

I would like to understand more about the requirements of Storage Network Environment Simulator and Automated Testing environment.

Thanks,
Vijay S.