[aperi-dev] Aperi News

Hi Folks,
I have some good news and some sad news.  First, The good news.  I'm proud
to announce a new milestone build of the SAN Simulator called milestone 0.2
build.  I want to thank Ramani from IBM Almaden Research Center for leading
this effort as well as Shripad, Pallavi and Amit from the IBM Pune lab in
India for authoring the enhancements.  I'd also like to thank Chris from
IBM Austin,  for the work on the installation guide, users guide, user
notes and the website updates.  I'd also like to thank everyone else who
contributed to this effort including the work to build and post, website
updates, authoring/submitting/approving the CQ's, etc.  This was a great
cross team effort that spanned the globe to get this next milestone
complete.

Following is a list of the new features implemented in SAN Simulator
milestone 0.2 build:

1. Extrinsic Method Support
      IBM DS6000 and DS8000 v5.1 CIM Agent
      (CreateSetting, CreateOrModifyElementFromStoragePool,
CreateOrModifyStoragePool, DeleteStoragePool, ReturnToStoragePool
      GetSupportedSizeRange, GetSupportedSizes)

      IBM DS6000 and IBM DS8000 v5.2 CIM Agent
      (CreateSetting, CreateOrModifyElementFromStoragePool,
CreateOrModifyStoragePool, ReturnToStoragePool, GetSupportedSizeRange
      GetSupportedSizes, HidePaths, ExposePaths, CreateStorageHardwareID,
DeleteStorageHardwareID)
2. SAN Simulator Repository Support ( IBM DB2 UDB or Apache Derby)
3. Remote Repository Support (SAN Simulator database repository can reside
on the same or different server as that of SAN Simulator)
4. Updated Installation Wizard

Now for the sad news.  It is with great sadness that I have to say that IBM
has decided not to staff the Aperi project for 2009.

The original goal of Aperi was to build a diverse community of committers
to help share the burden of the "framework" in order to free up resources
in all member companies to expand on the higher level functionality.  Over
the years, we have not been able to build up this diverse community despite
many efforts.  The interest just wasn't there.

In 2008, we focused on interoperability and created a workgroup to help
drive it.  We made some great progress under the technical leadership of
Martine Wedlake.  The workgroup defined and proposed a standard for Launch
in Context.  This was presented to SNIA and a LIC standard has taken on a
life of it's own over there.  That work will continue.  I look forward to
one day seeing the fruits of that effort in products giving the storage
administrators a seamless navigation using applications from multiple
vendors to accomplish their tasks.  This is a great effort to help
integrate the storage industry for the benefit of our customers.  Perhaps
we will see some open source reference implementations available!

Martine also led an Aperi workgroup to provide real-world feedback to
SNIA's PRTF.  The Aperi workgroup provided some great suggestions on how to
improved the SMIS standards and address some real customer pain points.  I
look forward to seeing those efforts improve the standards and compliance
testing in years to come.

Currently, the Aperi project has been an Incubation project under the
Eclipse Technology Project for several years.  Incubation is a phase and
not a place.  Since IBM is the only company providing active committers for
over the last year, I propose that we move the project from Incubation
phase to the Archived state.  I am preparing a deck for this review.

While I understand the business decision, I will miss working on this
project and leading such a talented group of folks.

Kind Regards,
--Al

Allen R. Heitman
Tivoli Storage Project Manager and Aperi Project Lead
IBM Corporation
3605 Hwy 52 North
Rochester, Minnesota 55901

Office Phone: 507-253-2405