Re: [aperi-dev] SAN Simulator problems

Hi Paul,

We had come across this problem before. After using the CIM client to read and copy the MOF definitions of a target CIMOM (for the snapshot-based approach), the same MOF files does not compile successfully inside wbem - because of several reasons (e.g. unknown qualifier, CIM MOF versions....). We tried to test the snapshot-based simulation with a set of devices and fixed these problems for each of their MOF on a case-to-case basis ( http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/documentation/r4/SAN_simulator_releasenotes.php#limitations ).

Here is the workaround

1. You can either read_n_copy the MOF files of the target live CIMOM using SAN Simulator MOF scanner OR copy the MOF file of the target live CIMOM (by file copy without using the SAN Simulator MOFScanner) and then compile it. The wbemservices error messages are not very comprehensive. You have to take the line number as the hint and try to fix it. I would suggest to use the wbemservices mof compiler and NOT the windows mof compiler (e.g. c:\SAN_Simulator\wbemservices\bin\mofcomp.bat) and copy all the new qualifiers.

2. Everytime, you have compile error, the MOF repository is already populated with the earlier compiled classes. So, you would get the ALREADY_EXISTS warning.
One way to avoid is to replace the whole "wbemservices" directory inside your SAN Simulator install home directory (e.g. c:\SAN_Simulator ). You can also replace the exact file that stores the mof definitions wbemservices\cimom\logr\store.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Ramani R. Routray
IBM Almaden Research Center
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/r/ramani

Inactive hide details for "Paul von Behren" ---10/23/2008 04:41:23 PM---I'm trying to get the SAN Simulator working and hitting"Paul von Behren" ---10/23/2008 04:41:23 PM---I'm trying to get the SAN Simulator working and hitting problems. I was able to get the configuration based approach working.

"Paul von Behren" <Paul_von_Behren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

10/23/2008 04:41 PM

[aperi-dev] SAN Simulator problems

I'm trying to get the SAN Simulator working and hitting problems. I was able to get the configuration based approach working. I'm now trying the snapshot-based approach. It is able to communicate to the CIMOM and create MOF files, but mofcomp is failing for vendor's namespace (i.e., not interop, not root/cimv2, but the namespace with the vendor's devices). When I run the wbemservices mofcomp by hand I get pretty incomprehensible error messages. When I run windows native mofcomp, the messages are somewhat more helpful. The most frequent problem is seeing "null ref pram-name" in method parameters rather than "CIM_SomeClass ref parm-name". I believe this occurs every time a method's first parameter is a ref. I also see some error messages about missing IN or OUT qualifiers, even though the qualifiers appears to be present. I'm seeing similar problems for array CIMOMs using Pegasus and WSI J Server and an FC Switch using WSI J Server.

Has anyone seen these problems before? Any workarounds?

Since I end up having to rerun mofcomp repeatedly, I get some of the MOF compiled and the stuff that worked before causes problems the time I run mofcomp. Is there a trick that will let me delete and entire namespace repository? I could not find anything in the wbemservices documentation on this, but perhaps I was looking in the wrong place.

aperi-dev mailing list
aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx