Re: [aperi-dev] Aperi Project status

Hi Wayne
The Aperi community uses email as the primary communication and we have reguarly scheduled calls (marketing, development, workgroup efforts) with the meeting information posted on the Aperi website.
I tried the Blog method for a little while but not not fimd others using it, so we discontinued its use. We raise awareness for Aperi in the Storage Network World conferences, through demonstrations and literature
hand outs. We chose this as our primary venue as Aperi is aimed at the storage community and the SNW is an excellent place to work with the storage vendor community. We ae aligned with two other
Eclipse based management communities, the Higgins (security) and COSMOS (enterprise management) communities. We work regularly with these communities to bring together the aspects of management
we have in common. We have done an effort with COSMOS to federate the Aperi storage data with their CCMDBf model. We are working with Higgins to adopt their security service for our secure storage intitiative
in the Aperi community. I see COSMOS as the lead Eclipse management project for management software and maybe someday Aperi would fit as a subproject under it. Please advise if you think there
would be a better fit within Eclipse for Aperi.
We have participated in some of the Eclipse venues but have not found a good size interest group in the storage management area so we do not plan to regularly participate in Planet
Eclipse. Contact me if you think there is a significant interest in this area as we are always interested in expanding our community.

Thanks for reaching out to Aperi!

Russ Warren
Inactive hide details for Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>

          Wayne Beaton <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          09/04/2008 11:39 AM

          Please respond to
          Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, techology-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[aperi-dev] Aperi Project status

Greetings Aperi committers,

It seems that your development efforts are on track and that you're
doing good things.

There seems to be a healthy (and steady) number of folks downloading
Aperi software, but I can't seem to find where/how that community is
interacting with the committers.

There is very little activity on the newsgroup. There are a couple of
questions that do not appear to have been answered in that forum. Is
there another forum that your using to interact with your user
community? Further, there are almost no bug reports raised against Aperi
by non-committers. Can you account for that?

I did find an Aperi blog [1] that appears to have last been posted to in
January 2008. It'd be nice to see more regular blogging. AFAICT, the
blog is not aggregated on Planet Eclipse. Should it be? Is the blog
aggregated elsewhere? I assume that there are SAN-specific forums where
this blog would fit well.

What does Aperi do to raise awareness of the project and develop community?

Is it almost time to start thinking about doing another webinar for
EclipseLive?

EclipseCon is coming. It's time to start thinking about talks. Linux
DevCon is being run in conjunction with EclipseCon this year; this may
be naive on my part, but are there any synergies that can be leveraged here?

What does the future hold for Aperi? Do you expect that it will remain a
Technology project, or is there a natural home for it in one of the
other projects? Does it fit as a runtime technology in the RT project?

Wayne Beaton
Technology PMC Lead

[1]
http://aperi.blogspot.com