[aperi-dev] Call for Participation -- Open Standards Workgroups -- Reminder

Here is my current list of people who have signed up for the Aperi Open Standards Workgroups -- please let me know if I've somehow left you off my list.

Also, I'll send out kick-off emails to each of these workgroups on Friday; so there's still time to join your favourite workgroup! :-)

Launch In Context Enablement
Dave Wolfe
Hans Lin
Jenny.Monesson
Ramani R Routray
Todd Singleton
Duane Baldwin
Robert Wipfel
Sunil Bharadwaj

SNIA Production Ready Task Force
Dave Wolfe
Ramani R Routray
Duane Baldwin

CMDB Integration
Dave Wolfe
Duane Baldwin
Robert Wipfel

Here's the original call for participation:

Hello, I'd like to invite everyone to participate in some Open Standards Workgroups that I will be facilitating.  The general idea is to help make Aperi more relevant to the storage industry by coordinating and integrating our work with standards organisations including SNIA, DMTF, and others.  Please feel free to forward this note to others in your development organisation who may be interested.

If you are interested in joining one or more of the proposals presented in this note, please reply to this email with a quick note regarding which workgroup you'd like to join and I'll add you into my list of participants.  My plan is to host kickoff meetings for these workgroups in a couple weeks to give everyone time to pass this note around and reach the right people.

Thanks!

Proposal 1: Launch in Context (LIC) Enablement

Objectives of Workgroup
- Create standard mechanism to enable registration and discovery of device launch points for LIC feature

Proposed Mechanism -- Extending the SNIA Access Points Subprofile
- The Access Points Subprofile describes entry points for element managers representing the entire device (single entry points)
- We need to extend the simple model to match LIC requirements

Areas of Discussion
- Specify means to bind device model with access points better
- Define LIC parameters to be registered
- Define authorization parameters (enable single sign-on) to be registered

Proposal 2: Production Ready Task Force

Objective of Workgroup
- The SNIA Production Ready Task Force was formed to examine practical, real-world techniques to make SMI-S work better for real products
- We have a lot of experience within Aperi related to client-side interaction with SMI-S Agents

Areas of Discussion
- Work together within the Aperi organization to identify issues and relate them back to the SNIA Production Ready Task Force
- Example Topics: backward compatibility (lack of test coverage); packaging, discovery, distribution and configuration of CIM Agents; vendor extensions (and versioning); scalability/performance; specification churn

Proposal 3: CMDB Standardization

Objective of Workgroup
- Create a plan for componentizing the database repository of Aperi as a CMDB enabling a common repository between many storage and systems management applications

Areas of Discussion
- Work with DMTF CMDBf (federation) to help define the CMDB structure and interfaces
- The CMDB holds information that LIC uses to represent the overall flow from one application to another; determine how we can leverage this information
- System’s management tools like COSMOS also need a CMDB; working together with the COSMOS project ties our two projects together opening opportunities for cooperation on other areas as well
- The interfaces and structure of the CMDB provide a common event and data format that can be pushed down into the data sources.  This gives us an opportunity to provide real-world expertise into the SNIA Standard Messages and Common Event Formatting (e.g., WEF) domains.
--

Martine Wedlake, Ph.D.
SMI-S/CIM Storage and Aperi Architect

Back to the top