Re: [aperi-dev] Migrating to Derby 10.3.1.4

Cheers,   Tom
Tom Guinane     Aperi Project Lead     IBM ARC     408-927-2104     guinane@xxxxxxxxxx     http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/

Todd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/24/2007 05:08 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [aperi-dev] Migrating to Derby 10.3.1.4

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Menlo Park, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx

Tom Guinane/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/24/2007 11:22 AM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-dev] Migrating to Derby 10.3.1.4

Hi Todd,
I've got a couple of questions regarding the migration to the next level of Derby, 10.3.1.4, for Aperi.  We have decided we need to go to this level to address some critical bugs.  We are pursuing to get approve from Eclipse legal to bundle.  But, if that does not happen in time, what impact are we imposing on our users?  Actually, I have two questions on this:

1) What would a new Aperi user experience if they have to manually download and install Derby 10.3.1.4?  Is the installation straightforward?

TODD> We'd have to test it and determine.  But my thoughts are that it would not be too big of a deal.  It should be very straightforward, simple file replace.  We could also repackage it in the download.

TOM>> Thanks.  Hans, hopefully we will not have to go down this path, but we need to monitor carefully.

2) What would an existing Aperi user experience if they are migrating from Derby 10.1.2.1 to 10.3.1.4?  Bundled or not, does Derby address upward migration during the install?

TODD> Not sure if we really need to support this scenario (not sure if we have any crucial deployments).  However, this is a scenario that we would need to test.  But derby would not address migration during installation, no.  It would be a manual process.
TOM>> Thanks.  Hans, either way, this will have to be addressed in test.

Also, are you suggesting that this is a "go".  Should we update the version now?  Are you opening a defect/feature for this?

TOM>> From what I understand, we really do not have much of a choice.  Without the migration we have serious errors.  So, yes, it is a go.  However we do not yet have approval to bundle it.  That is currently in progress and being tracked with IPzilla 1830.

Cheers,   Tom