Re: [aperi-dev] Some issues about Aperi

With respect to Data Server documentation and supporting examples, I can help out with that. Ben, are there any areas of the code in which you are particularly interested?

Regards,
Khan Tasinga
IBM Tivoli Software Engineer (Storage Management Development)

Todd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/26/2007 04:49 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [aperi-dev] Some issues about Aperi

Ben

I see.  You need a new build that contains a fix to
bug 191750.  A new build is posted to
       http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/downloads.php

It has not undergone the rigorous testing as done with the milestone build.  I actually found a bug in the configuration (choose 'no' when asked to download 3rd party libraries).  I'll log the bug.  Let me know if this contains the fix you are looking for.

Existing TPC Gui:

Yes, that would be a nice form of compatibility.  Would you like to work on function - as a committer?  We can make sure you have all the support you need... let us know.

Documentation:

Good point.  Please use bugzilla to document issues... places where more documentation would be helpful.

Thanks again Ben.

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Menlo Park, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx

ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/25/2007 07:29 AM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [aperi-dev] Some issues about Aperi

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

> Is it possible to get a 'Good Build' ( ->
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Build_and_Release_Process )?
> It would be nice for me to test the plugins not on Aperi 0.3.1, but on a
> newer version of Aperi.
>> TODD> Aperi 0.3.1 is the newest build (a couple of weeks old) that
>> has had a certain degree of testing and validation.  Are you having
>> problems with it?  Please share any bugs or issues you have with
>> it.  http:// bugs.eclipse.org is the ideal place for posting bugs.
>> It will be great to get additional feedback as our
>> testing environments are limited and community validation is of
>> upmost importance.

The version 0.3.1 is very good (though i can't do many things, because
i have no SAN here (just a database ...))
The problem for me is that i have no binary build to test my plugins
on other machines, and i have some problems with building it myself.
The bug 191750 was opened after Aperi 0.3.1, so far i know.

> It would be great to have a download possibility on the homepage at
> http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/downloads.php where is already an entry for
> this.
>> TODD> Eclipse uses mirroring (which is more scalable) for large
>> file download  Once you click on the 'download' link, it takes you
>> directly to the file.

Sorry, it was not clear what i wrote. I know about the mirroring of
Eclipse, but what I meant was a link
for the newer (weekly?) 'Interim Builds'.

> Is it possible to get the installer not create an Aperi database, but
> use an existing TPC Database?
>> TODD> Interesting requirement.  If this is something you need,
>> perhaps we can discuss further and you can help in designing that
>> sort of integration.  You and I could work on something like that.
>> We'd have to spec
>> out all of the issues, but I'm sure it can be done.

I need this because we have no SAN, we just have a TPC database. For
now, I changed some things (mostly in the configuration) to get it
work with the TPC database.
But perhaps it would be good for others, too. Think of a situation
like this: A company wants to test Aperi and
has TPC already working. They don't want to do a whole new discovery,
because it costs time. So it would be great to use the existing data,
wouldn't it?

> Where can I find documentation for extensions and extension points of
> Aperi (especially for the 0.3 versions)?
>> TODD> For which component do you need?  The best bet here is to
>> talk with some of the component experts.  This sort of discussion
>> will help flesh out the appropriate documentation.

The most difficult thing for me was the GUI (-> aperiMenuPath). I
found no other way to get into the GUI, especially i couldn't get in
the BaseTree ...
The other thing is the dataserver. The documentation is good, but very
short. Some examples would be great.
Most of problems i had were with the Request/Response objects and my
own RequestHandler. It's now working, but
it was hard to get it so.

Best regards,
Benjamin