Re: [aperi-dev] Install & runtime discussion...

Hey Todd,

That looks like a pretty good list of problems and potential solutions. Off top, some questions / thoughts...

- If someone wanted to build a commercial offering on top of Aperi, might there be some licensing issues related to the use of Java Service Wrapper? I recall running into problems when trying to use it on another project, in the past. If using Java Service Wrapper might present problems down the line, are there any reasonable alternatives.

- The five command windows popping-up on Windows... I think that's due to the fact that we use java.exe instead of javaw.exe to launch the various processes, so that we have a way to kill them (Ctrl-C). An alternative that wouldn't require something like Java Service Wrapper... Switch to javaw.exe to launch the various processes and create small command-line utilities to communicate with them (TCP/IP) for graceful shutdown. A similar approach could be applied on Linux, where we already launch processes in the background.

- Right now, uninstall = delete Aperi directory, no? I kind of like that. Hopefully, it doesn't have to go.

- With respect to OS integration, do you have anything else in mind beyond the creation of services?

Regards,
Khan Tasinga
IBM Tivoli Software Engineer (Storage Management Development)

Todd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/25/2007 02:35 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-dev] Install & runtime discussion...

Craig and I came up with the following list while we brainstormed enhancements to our installer and runtime (start/stop) process.  Please feel free to comment.  He and I will continue to discuss.  We'll use the Wednesday design meeting to go into more depth as things evolve.

Install Issues

Problems

No gui

Complicated downloads around dojo and birt toolkit

Ease of development & development scalability

Current technique is home grown

jh.jar requires a manual download from the sun site   ( <--- no simple solution in site)

No uninstaller

No OS integration

Candidate Solutions

Place Icon on the system tray

Use Ant Installer to address gui and development issues

Add dojo and birt into download.xml (requires additional development)

Download & integrate with Java Service Wrapper (OS service and daemon integration)

Runtime Issues

Problems

5 command windows pop up on windows

No solution for a graceful shutdown

Unix requires that each process be killed with cryptic command (go job hunting)

An agent scanner process may shut down when we just kill the aperi java process

Have to restart process every time the machine reboots

Candidate Solutions

If we launch process from system tray (or some tool in the OS), we get rid of the command windows

Using java service wrapper gets free nt services and unix shell along with process robustness

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Menlo Park, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx