Linux cfgaperi easy & screenshots (was Re: [aperi-dev] Re: R0.3 RC1 results so far)

Hi,

I've only had laptop computer access for most of today, so downloaded
all the pre-reqs, instructions, and Aperi R0.3 ZIP file, and installed disconnected
on SLES10. Feedback on install instructions and a few screenshots attached.
BIRT reporting came up in a separate browser with a welcome page, but I
didn't read the notes about modifying the Sun DTD for disconnected operation,
until I was disconnected ;)The RCP GUI and new splash screen looks nice.
(Minor; jfyi; Help About and Splash Screen show versions 4 and 5 in strings)
My laptop doesn't have a local SCSI disk, I've not been able to install on a
server that does yet, in order to dupe bug 176657.

Hth,
Robert

==
Copy geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar to [aperi_install_dir]\plugins\javax.j2ee_1.0.0.

geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar is located in the following subdirectory where you unzipped geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.1.zip: /[location where you unzipped geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.1.zip]/repository/org/apache/geronimo/specs/.
==
Path isn't complete ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Should be:

  repository/org/apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec/1.1

# Copy org.mortbay.jaas.jar to [aperi_install_dir]\plugins\org.eclipse.aperi.reporting.jass_1.0.0.

Typo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ jass should be jaas

Configuring Aperi

[aperi_install_dir]/configure/cfgaperi is not executable

Must

chmod +x cfgaperi

Section 6 Start the Aperi Storage Manager

Gives only Windows instructions;
^^^ add Linux

cd [aperi_install_dir]
./aperi

>>> Chris King <chriskng@xxxxxxxxxx> 05/15/07 11:02 PM >>>

Based on feedback I have made the following changes to the Aperi install
instructions:

- Added Linux instructions when installing BIRT run time files.
- Updated the "Install Aperi Storage Manager files" section in the
following ways:
  - clarified when files must be downloaded manually or. downloaded
automatically through the Configurator in regular mode (itext-1.3.jar and
org.mortbay.jaas-5.1.10.jar)
  - removed the requirement to download Java Enterprise Edition 1.3
  - corrected the Dojo Toolkit 0.4.2 URL
  - added a note indicating that iText 1.3 can be automatically downloaded
through the Configurator in regular mode
  - added a note indicating that org.mortbay.jaas 5.1.10 can be
automatically downloaded through the Configurator in regular mode
  - added the location of geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar after it has been
unzipped from geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.1.zip
  - updated the location to which geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar must be
installed: [aperi_install_dir]\plugins\javax.j2ee_1.0.0
  - updated the location to which org.mortbay.jaas-5.1.10.jar must be
installed:
[aperi_install_dir]\plugins\org.eclipse.aperi.reporting.jass_1.0.0
  - added missing escape characters for some directories
- Added information to the step describing downloading third party
libraries in the "5.2 Use the Configurator (regular mode)" section.
- Added information to "5.3 Use the Configurator (easy mode)" to remind
users that all the third-party files must manually downloaded if using easy
mode,
- Added manual start procedure for the reporting server.

Note that "5.5 Edit configuration files" contains information on the
server.config file and its adminGroup parameter.

Chris King
Information Development -  Aperi
chriskng@xxxxxxxxxx
Aperi: http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/index.php