Re: [aperi-dev] R0.3 RC1 results so far

One thing that may make it easier is that Sun now has open sourced java
help https://javahelp.dev.java.net/ and you can download the binary
directly instead of digging through a j2ee download. I dont know the Sun
license for this, but I suspect GPL.

Prasenjit Sarkar
RSM and Manager, Storage Analytics and Resiliency
Master Inventor
IBM Almaden Storage Systems Research

             Todd
             Singleton/San
             Jose/IBM@IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  Aperi Development
             aperi-dev-bounces         <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             @eclipse.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/16/2007 09:10          Re: [aperi-dev] R0.3 RC1 results so
             AM                        far

             Please respond to
             Aperi Development
             <aperi-dev@eclips
                  e.org>

Brenda,
Sorry for the confusion.  geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar is a replacement
for j2ee.jar - a prereq in the .2 version of Aperi.  jh.jar is also a
prereq.  So both are prereqs needed for the runtime to function properly.
Both prereqs are currently downloaded manually by the end-user.  Craig has
mentioned that the download of geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar could
actually be automated.  That would leave us with only one file that an end
user would have to manually download, dig thru, and place within the aperi
directories.  Because jh.jar (Java Help) is distributed by Sun, it seems
like the only alternative is to migrate away from that dependency.  I'm not
sure of the exact cost of migrating from Java Help to Eclipse Help.  This
primarily affects the gui.

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Menlo Park, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx

 Brenda Haynes/Raleigh/IBM@ibmus
 Sent by:
 aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                                          To
                                                Aperi Development
                                                <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 05/16/2007 08:26 AM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
         Please respond to                      Re: [aperi-dev] R0.3 RC1
         Aperi Development                      results so far
      <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Todd, thanks. see my question below. Brenda

Brenda Haynes
Director, Aperi Open Source Project
zStorage SW Product Management
IBM Software Group
bhaynes@xxxxxxxxxx
877-328-8470 T/L (930)-5127

(Embedded image moved to file: pic25692.gif)Inactive hide details for Todd
Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUSTodd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS

 Todd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS

 Sent by:
 aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx     (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic05644.gif)

 05/16/2007 04:05 AM                                                    To
                                                (Embedded image moved to
                                                file: pic19981.gif)
         Please respond to                      Aperi Development
         Aperi Development                      <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>      (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic24365.gif)

                                                                        cc
                                                (Embedded image moved to
                                                file: pic08027.gif)
                                   (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic11686.gif)

                                                                   Subject
                                                (Embedded image moved to
                                                file: pic16230.gif)
                                                Re: [aperi-dev] R0.3 RC1
                                                results so far

                                   (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic13110.gif)
                                     (Embedded image moved to file:
                                     pic21745.gif)

Brenda,
What is left in regards to IP approvals:>
iText 1.3 - new to this release, but can be downloaded automatically thru
the installer (blh: ok and I saw a note that cfgaperi can automate this so
that is good)
org.mortbay.jaas 5.1.10 - new to this release, but can be downloaded
automatically thru the installer (blh: ok also saw note that cfgaperi can
automate this so again this helps the install experience)

(blh: Are these two items (geronimo and jh.jar) suggested replacement for
the existing prereqs? Not sure i follow why you mentioned these as
replacements vs prereqs that need installed?)
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1.jar - replacement of the old j2ee.jar (still
inconvenient to end-user)
jh.jar (Java Help) - the oldest and still the most inconvenient to the
end-user; can be replaced by Eclipse Help (significant change)

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Menlo Park, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx

 Brenda Haynes/Raleigh/IBM@ibmus
 Sent by:
 aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                Aperi Development
 05/15/2007 06:24 PM                            <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
                                                (Embedded image moved to
                                                file: pic21349.gif)
         Please respond to                                         Subject
         Aperi Development                      Re: [aperi-dev] R0.3 RC1
      <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                   results so far

                                   (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic24087.gif)
                                     (Embedded image moved to file:
                                     pic15554.gif)

I had a question. Do we need to do something to better document the
cfgaperi easy option to help folks do this successfully or know when not to
use this route.

My two cents on the Linux install instructions, I think we should provide
them..I was thinking Robert got us a base on this for the 0.2 milestone but
maybe that was build instructions?

With the recent IP Approvals from Eclipse: can someone give me the run down
on what is left in the prereq list that we can not include in our Aperi
package and of those prereqs can they all be automated by cfgaperi?
thanks, Brenda

Brenda Haynes
Director, Aperi Open Source Project
zStorage SW Product Management
IBM Software Group
bhaynes@xxxxxxxxxx
877-328-8470 T/L (930)-5127

(Embedded image moved to file: pic12577.gif)Inactive hide details for
"David Wolfe" <2dwolfe@xxxxxxxxx>"David Wolfe" <2dwolfe@xxxxxxxxx>

 "David Wolfe" <2dwolfe@xxxxxxxxx>

 Sent by:
 aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx     (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic02361.gif)

 05/15/2007 02:14 PM
                                               (Embedded image moved to
                                               file: pic01047.gif)
         Please respond to                     "Aperi Development"
         Aperi Development                     <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>      (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic07382.gif)

                                                                        cc
                                               (Embedded image moved to
                                               file: pic23463.gif)
                                   (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic26133.gif)

                                                                   Subject
                                               (Embedded image moved to
                                               file: pic08821.gif)
                                               Re: [aperi-dev] R0.3 RC1
                                               results so far

                                   (Embedded image moved to file:
                                   pic21636.gif)
                                      (Embedded image moved to file:
                                      pic22761.gif)

Chris owns the windows instructions. He should work with me and or Craig to
resolve any specific issues (I think the emails have stated the file name
changes etc).
The general issue of the complexity of the install is out of scope for V0.3
and will get resolved as we get IP issues solved and can bundle the bits.

We don't have a requirement to provide install instructions for Linux in
V0.3 (we haven't provided them before now). I think this should be a high
priority fix-it item for an early milestone release of V0.4.

There are only two things that cfgaperi can download: itext and jaas.
Everything else is either bundled or must be downloaded by hand.
I think Todd would be the logical owner of the definitive list of 3rd party
SW that still needs to be downloaded. Todd, can you provide that list to
Chris?

Is there any reason why the documentation issues can't get turned around
today?

I think Craig claimed ownership of the two Linux problems.

There is no defect for the adm group issue. Sounds like an issue that's
been around for awhile and the work around is don't use 'easy' mode unless
the adm group works for you.
Can we file an enhancement for that and deal with it in the next release?

Sounds like SCSI bug (176657) has a fix already? This one looks like it
should go into V0.3 since it causes a crash and we seem to have a fix and
the risk seems low?
Is that right? Or can we defer this one as well?

-DaveW