Re: [aperi-dev] Aperi demo details and SMI-S question

Thanks for posting this, Robert -- it's great to be able to watch the demo!

Regarding your questions about SMI-S: while we support some non-SMI-S mechanisms in Aperi, we're intent on increasing the support we have for different SMI-S profiles and being an exemplary SMI-S based management application, and some of us who work on Aperi also work with SNIA on the SMI-S standard. Having said all that... I'd be happy to talk about any ideas or suggestions you might have in this area, either on this list or in one of our regular meetings.

thanks again,
--
Ted Slupesky | Eclipse Aperi Project Lead | IBM: 349-5413 | External: (503) 820-3853

"Robert Wipfel" <rawipfel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/28/2007 01:27 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Alan Clark <ACLARK.PRV-3.PROVO@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[aperi-dev] Aperi demo details and SMI-S question

Hi,

To share details of an Aperi demo that Novell gave at
our recent user conference (1hr 26 mins into this stream):
http://www.novell.com/huddle/event/index.php?event_id=31e8c0653fea13f91bf3c48159f7c24f

(I'm not sure if it's possible to fast forward to the end).

The demo comprised the following:

Four Dell 1950 servers
QLogic host bus adapters
QLogic 5260 fabric switch
EMC AX150 FC storage

SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
running Xen enabled kernel
Aperi running on a dedicated management server
The three other servers were managed

Aperi was used to illustrate the topology of the SAN; servers,
their storage, and switch connections. Discovery of the switch
happened via SNMP and CIM. SLES10 servers were running the
Aperi agent, and also the OpenWbem CIMOM, with various DMTF
management profiles including SMASH, CIM_Cluster (LinuxHA)
and SVPC-V (XenCim). These are also open source projects:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCim
and
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/OMC

These slides were presented at ManDevCon (with some SMI-S
and Aperi coverage):
http://www.mandevcon.com/2006/track_smash.html#smash_osmos

We didn't use Aperi to discover or manage the storage array.

A follow on demo showed how Fibre Channel N_Port ID
Virtualization (NPIV) can enable VM mobility with respect to
LUN masks in the SAN storage array.

For the list is a question; how viable is the SMI-S standard at
this point? and what do you think is the role or work to be done
within the Aperi project to promote standards based storage
management?

Regards,
Robert