Re: [aperi-dev] V0.3 GUI install

Looks like we have consensus:

Yes, there should be a package that just contains the GUI (and an installer for it).
Yes, it should also be bundled with the all-in-one zip file (cfgaperi does give you the option to install components selectively already)
Yes, retire the legacy GUI.

--
Ted Slupesky | Eclipse Aperi Project Lead | IBM: 349-5413 | External: (503) 820-3853

Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/31/2007 12:17 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-dev] V0.3 GUI install

I realize I have been kind of fuzzily assuming that the V0.3 GUI would have an independent install. That is, it wouldn't be installed as part of the current zip file or configured with cfgaperi. My visions is you would install the server in one step then install the GUI (where ever you liked) in a separate step. I doubt that's what others expect.

My reasoning being that it is indeed an independent RCP application that gets bundled into its own little zip file by the PDE build tools and then gets installed like any other Eclipse RCP like app.

That is, you download a zip or tar file and just expand it into a directory, then launch the executable.
Assuming we get organized, the components could be installed via Java Web Start and maintained via the Eclipse Update Center capability (we get this more or less for free as an RCP app).

At this time it is an independent build (not part of the regular Aperi build) although I expect for convenience we will run the server and new GUI nightly builds at the same time(stamp).

In order to make the new GUI part of the server bundle we could run it as sub-build and package it into the base bundle then cfgaperi could unzip it for us.

One more little spin: the legacy (Swing based) GUI is still built and installable as before. If we include the new GUI is the standard bundle we should eliminate the legacy GUI.

So, the questions are:

1) Should the new GUI have an independent install capability (y/n)?

2) Should the new GUI be bundled with the server and installed along with everything else (y/n)?

3) Should we eliminate the legacy GUI from the server install bundle (y/n)?

Dave Wolfe/Portland/
IBM (dwolfe@xxxxxxxxxx) TL: 775-3376 Office: 503-578-3376 Personal: 503-329-3960

GUI Technical Lead, Aperi Open Source Storage Management http://www.eclipse.org/aperi http://www.ibm.com

If all of your problems look like nails you should invest in a good hammer - Unknown_______________________________________________