Re: [aperi-dev] Enhanced Reporting Capabilities for Aperi

Dave,
I want to make sure I understand the proposal. The idea is for the simplified schema to be delivered after R3, at some yet to be determined date? Are any reports written before the simplified schema is delivered at higher risk of breakage later due to changes in the base schema?
Thanks,Brenda
Brenda Haynes
Director, Aperi Open Source Project
zStorage SW Product Management
IBM Software Group
bhaynes@xxxxxxxxxx
877-328-8470 T/L (930)-5127

Inactive hide details for Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUSDave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUS

          Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUS
          Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          01/15/2007 03:04 PM

          Please respond to
          Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[aperi-dev] Enhanced Reporting Capabilities for Aperi

Hey All,

One of the key features we will provide starting in the V0.3 release is an ad hoc reporting capability.
For Aperi this has two components:
1) A BIRT based report designer and viewer integrated with the V0.3 GUI
2) A simplified schema composed of views and support tables to both insulate the report designer from the schema complexity and to insulate the base schema from reports so we can modify the base schema without breaking every report in the universe.

The simplified schema is independent of the Aperi BIRT based reporting tool, so it can be used with other reporting tools.
The new schema will be delivered as an optional 'add-on' to the base schema. That is, it need not be shipped with either the basic Aperi bundle or the V0.3 GUI bundle.

Likewise, the Aperi BIRT based report designer/viewer is independent of the simplified schema.
In fact, several reports have been implemented without it for the V0.3 release.
The plan is to convert those reports to use the new schema as soon as it is available, but this will likely be after the V0.3 release date.

We envision that the release of the simplified schema and the sample BIRT report descriptors that use it be decoupled from the regular release train.
Since the reporting schema is an independent add on to the base schema it can be applied or updated at anytime without effecting the base schema.
Also, BIRT report descriptors can be added or modified at anytime by the end users, so once the new schema is available we can post report descriptors that use it for our clients to download.
This will allow us to release V0.3 on time with the current functionality, then provide upgrades as available.

The grand vision is that this level of flexibility and informality will encourage our user community to design their own reports and make their descriptors available, and perhaps even provide new views and other augmentation for the simplified schema.

If we have time I'd like to discuss this at the Tuesday meeting on 1/16.

Dave Wolfe/Portland/
IBM (dwolfe@xxxxxxxxxx) TL: 775-3376 Office: 503-578-3376 Personal: 503-329-3960

GUI Technical Lead, Aperi Open Source Storage Management http://www.eclipse.org/aperi http://www.ibm.com

If all of your problems look like nails you should invest in a good hammer - Unknown_______________________________________________