Re: [aperi-dev] Re: R3 Reporting data model design

I guess the most important design issue raised is if the views should be in
the database. We should discuss this internally and post the results of the
discussion.

Prasenjit Sarkar
Almaden Research

             Bill Warren/San
             Jose/IBM@IBMUS
             aperi-dev-bounces         Aperi Development
             @eclipse.org              <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             01/09/2007 09:49                                      Subject
             AM                        [aperi-dev] Re: R3 Reporting data
                                       model design

              Please respond
                Development
             <aperi-dev@eclips
                  e.org>

There was a tentative stab at defining a few views earlier, in the
reporting prototyping late last summer. Here, as an FYI, are the results of
that effort: (See attached file: create_reporting_views.sql), (See attached
file: model_doc.html).
includes support equivalent to these views, and a small sample of
reports.
query available to the user of the Report Designer. That level is dubbed a
BIRT "data set."
views in the DB. Rather, we will include the queries that make up each view
in a pre-defined BIRT data set. These data sets will be included in a BIRT
Report Library that will be available to all Aperi users of the Report
Designer.
            A user of our pre-defined data sets does not deal directly with
            the query. We can later replace the full-blown query with a
            reference to a view in the DB. We can even transparently
            replace the direct use of the DB with a different data source
            technology; e.g., a custom data source, defined as an Eclipse
            extension to BIRT, that makes calls to an Aperi Server API
            In addition to the columns that come from the DB, it is
            possible to add columns that are calculated in the data set.
            The current Aperi 0.3 work includes defining these
            data-set-only columns to provide default display formatting of
            colums that aren't in displayable form in the DB
As I say, the current 0.3 reporting development plan includes some work
based on these views. Only a little of this work is done at this time. The
rest is part of my wrap-up work, to be finished by the end of the month.
There is still a little time to make some adjustments to better align 0.3
with longer-term reporting-view strategy. Anything that is more than rather
straight-forward adjustments, won't be achievable, on the current schedule,
by me alone.
(408)284-5199 (t/l 953)[attachment "create_reporting_views.sql" deleted by
Prasenjit Sarkar/Almaden/IBM] [attachment "model_doc.html" deleted by
Prasenjit Sarkar/Almaden/IBM]