Re: [aperi-dev] Proposed Changes to the Configure Aperi Script to handle 3rd Party Code

Craig, I think this looks good and it's worth doing now. We'll fix the SNIA HBA problem shortly and then we'll be in great shape.

--
Ted Slupesky | Eclipse Aperi Project Lead | IBM: 349-5413 | External: (503) 820-3853

Todd Singleton/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/07/2006 01:13 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [aperi-dev] Proposed Changes to the Configure Aperi Script        to        handle 3rd Party Code

Good research and proposal.  My thought - perhaps we should hold off on that until there is a more complete solution.  Just to summarize, this proposal will support automated download and placement of:
  • org.mortbay.jetty plugin
  • org.apache.commons.logging plugin
  • sblimSLPClient.jar
  • sblimCIMClient.jar
  • xml-apis.jar
  • xercesImpl.jar

However, for reasons you mentioned, the following libraries would still require manual download and placement:
  • jh.jar
  • j2ee.jar
  • snia hba libraries

Since this would still require a user to perform manual steps, it may not be worth the effort until we come up with a more complete proposal.  Thoughts?

Note: also, in step 5 - we would want to download the jars into their respective plugin directory as opposed to the lib directory.

Todd Singleton
Software Engineer, Tivoli, IBM
Bldg. 50, A152
5600 Cottle Road
San Jose, CA
email: toddsing@xxxxxxxxxx

Craig Laverone/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/07/2006 12:45 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-dev] Proposed Changes to the Configure Aperi Script to        handle 3rd Party Code

Aperi-dev,

I would like to propose the following changes to the configure Aperi script, cfgaperi. The goal is to reduce the amount of manual configuration required to use the binary distribution.

Background:

We are not able to ship 3rd party software with our binary distribution for legal reasons.

Proposed Solution:

The cfgaperi script will do the following:
0. Load a list of 3rd party software from a file.
1. Display the list of the 3rd party software required by Aperi.
2. Prompt the user if they would like to have the cfgaperi script download and configure the 3rd party software automatically.
3. Select a mirror site for the download, if applicable.
'easy' mode: The first available mirror will be selected for the download (no user input).
non-'easy' mode: Display a list of available mirrors and ask the user to select a mirror from the list.

4. Download 3rd party plugins directly to the 'plugins' directory.
Note: Plugins will not be downloaded if they are already present.
5. Download jars directly to the 'lib' directory.
Notes:
1. If the required jars are contained in a zip file, then the zip will be downloaded to a temporary directory the jars will be extracted to the 'lib' directory
2. The jar will not be downloaded if it's already present.

Limitations:

1. Only http downloads will be supported.
2. These changes will NOT be able to handle some of the 3rd party dependancies. The Java help and the J2EE jar files cannot be downloaded automatically because they are behind a restrictive click-through license.

-- Craig