[alf-dev] RE: [technology-pmc] Archive Review for ALF

Dear Wayne and Technology PMCs,

I agree that,  given the level of community participation, the
appropriate course for ALF is to close down the project.  Unfortunately,
our recent efforts did not identify potential contributors willing to
justify keeping the project active.

It would be good to understand the archival process a bit better, as I
propose we close down the project in an orderly manner for the following
reasons:

1. The ALF project did generate a codebase that provides sufficient
value and quality to be consumed by several Serena offerings.  I believe
some of the assets, especially those related to Identity and Single
SignOn may find a home in another Eclipse project.

2. Ironically, while overall there has not been sufficient interest and
participation to justify continuing the project, the project has
recently received a number of inquiries on the ALF newsgroup and mailing
list from groups that have started to build and evaluate the ALF code.
It would be courteous and useful to provide sufficient notice of
termination to those parties to allow them to capture the codebase,
should they wish to continute using it.

3. In preparing for the potential of closing down the project, we did a
review of the IP status of all the code in CVS for ALF.  We found a
small number of defects which we would like to correct.  On one hand
that is a moot issue, except for the case that another project does wish
to adopt the SSO portions of the codebase.

So I am glad to see the timing of the archival review (and I hope the
subsequent process) will provide sufficient time to close down the
project in a graceful and tidy way that preserves at least some of the
value that ALF created.

As the ALF project lead, I am personnally saddened to be recommending
closing a project that created commercially viable platform, but given
the reality of the level of participation, closing the project is indeed
the appropriate course of action.

Regards,
Brian

   Brian Carroll | Eclipse ALF Project Lead | Serena Fellow
   (O) (503) 617-2436 (C) (503) 318-2017
 Serena Software - The Mashups are here!