RE: [alf-dev] Notes on ALF/SCM Vocabulary

Liya,

Thanks for the feedback.  We will take this into account as we refine the SCM vocabulary.

Tim

From: alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Liya Jan
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:30 AM
To: alf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [alf-dev] Notes on ALF/SCM Vocabulary

Hi,

I'd like to publish my notes on Notes on ALF/SCM Vocabulary:

Objects
 * missing SVN terms for all objects
Workspace
 (Subversion: Working copy)
 - a unique name within the SCM system -> why client workspace should have a unique name within the SCM system?..

Element
 (Subversion: ??)
 - an element-type -> is meta-data an element as well?

Version
 (Subversion: Revision for a single file ?? or [none])

Change-Set
 (Subversion: Revision)

Branch/Stream
 (Subversion: Branch)
 - I think that Stream should be defined as a Private Branch and be another different object, more connects to a workspace definition - it's a 'workspace with the unique name within the SCM system' (see Workspace)
 - Owner is not relevant for a Branch, since a Branch exists in the repository and not on the local/client machine that has an owner

Configuration
 (Subversion: svn:externals can be a part of the configuration)

Baseline -> I think the name should be Tag or Label
 (Subversion: Tag)
 - Owner is not relevant for a Tag, since a Tag exists in the repository and not on the local/client machine that has an owner

Component
 (CVS: can be a Module (also aliased module), SVN: [none], can be defined using svn externals, but too limited)

Repository
 (Subversion: Repository)
 - i think 'An owner' is not relevant here as well
 - Permissions - can be problematic to define

Use Cases
Create a workspace
 - CreateWorkspace method must have a user and password parameters, or should always come after some kind of login method

Modify a workspace
I think this use case is irrelevant - if you change load-rules, configuration, or location of the workspace, it is a different workspace, so you should use 'CreateWorkspace' method for it;
unless you mean the "Switch" operation - create a different workspace under the same location - in this case location parameter is irrelevant.

Create new versions of an element
 - additional parameters for CreateNewVersions method:
        String   comment,       // optional comment
        String   issueId        // optional issue id from supported Issue Tracker

Create a new stream (branch) to support parallel development
 - additional parameter for CreateStream method (i think it should be CreateBranch):
  otherOptions OtherOptions // tool specific options

Capture a baseline (snapshot) -> i think CreateBaseline should be CreateTag

Promote versions up to a higher-level stream or branch -> I think this use case is a private case of 'Perform merges of versions, from one branch/stream to another'

Thank you,

regards,
Liya Jan
Professional CM Manager
www.tikalk.com
e-mail: liya@xxxxxxxxxx
mobile: 0544299477

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Back to the top