RE: [alf-dev] ALF Source Code Mangement Vocabulary Meeting+1-303-928-3232 id 6053141# Wednesday 10:00AM PDT - meeting minutes

Meeting minutes for ALF Source Code Management Vocabulary Meeting,
Wednesday June 21th at 10:00AM PDT

Agenda
0. Last week's minutes (below)

1. Status on tasks (see list in minutes below)

2. Workspace discussion

3. SCM Events

4. Use Cases

5. Any other business

Attendees
Richard Title
Adam Simatel
Brian Carroll
Scott McGrath
Tim Buss

0. Last weeks minutes were accepted.  Not additional comments were
noted.

1. Tasks

Todo

T7. Discuss "Workspace" -
The problem was re-stated, a discussion ensued in email and it appears
that we have general agreement.

T11. Integration based use cases
We think that most build use cases are a variant of the K Shaw use case.
(see Use Case Discussion below)

Eric has updated the Wikki description of this based on our discussion.
We need to decide if we need more.  Please review the Wikki.

T15.
Expand "primitive" use cases to include more detail (eg datatypes,
method signatures)
Adam has entered some content.  It was agreed that Adam and Richard
would divide up the work and continue this

T16.
Update Data model based on ALF meeting feedback.  Brian committed to
complete the update this week

T17.
Create a schema from the data model. Since the data model is in visio
this may need to be done by hand.  Tim committed to starting this, this
week.

T18
SCM metadata difference report schema.
We agreed to defer this for now as it does not seem to be a critical use
case.  We will re-visit it in the future.

For some use cases we have identified that some concept of "user" is
necessary to make machine readable report useful.

It is still unclear what the use case is for a more detailed machine
readable report and wha the priority for specifying this is.  It is
possible that most of what we need will come from the schema types we
might define from the data model.

T19
Wikki pictures.  There are some placeholders for pictures in the Wikki.
These need to be poulated.  In particulare it would be good to get the
updated data model into the Wikki

T20 Add the notion of User to the concepts
User is an important concept to SCM since a primary function is to
attribute changes to particular authors

2. Workspace discussion
It was agreed that we had general agreement on the workspace concept.
The basic notion is that it is a potentially seperable SCM service that
may run on the same machine as the consuming tool.

3. SCM Events
This item was not discussed in detail

4. Use cases
File Selection abd Version Selection were mentioned.  To be discussed
later

5. No other business was raised

Tim Buss - Serena.
Meeting+1-303-928-3232 id 6053141# Wednesday 10:00AM PDT - meeting
minutes

Meeting minutes for ALF Source Code Management Vocabulary Meeting,
Wednesday June 14th at 10:00AM PDT

Agenda
0. Last week's minutes (below)

1. Status on tasks (see list in minutes below)

2. SCM Events

3. Workspace discussion

4. Use Cases

5. Any other business

Attendees:
Tim Buss - Serena - ALF
Richard Title - Accurev
Damon Poole - Accurev
Mark Phippard - Soft Landing
Adam Simantel - Serena - SCM
Eric Minick - Urban Code

0. Last weeks minutes were accepted.  Not additional comments were
noted.

1. Tasks

Todo

T7. Discuss "Workspace" -
The discussion continued in Email.  There are two points of view.
1. That ALF should just specify an "API" with which to wrap the SCM
client allowing it to be installed in the same locality as a tool much
as an SCM client would normallybe but be controled by ALF to materialize
files "locally" to the tool.
2. That ALF should specify an API that and SCM server would implement
that would allow for a "common client" to be implemented.  This would
allow for more sophisticated interactions such a pushing the file to the
tool. ( not sure I've really captured this one)

We still have to resolve this. I propose that 2 may be considered an
extension of 1 and if we decide it is necessary we can build on 1 to
create 2.  They are not mutally exclusive.  I would like to get
agreement on this so we can mke an initial proposal.

Tim to write a problem statement for discussion in nexct weeks meeting

T11. Integration based use cases
We think that most build use cases are a variant of the K Shaw use case.
(see Use Case Discussion below)

Eric has updated the Wikki description of this based on our discussion.
We need to decide if we need more.  Please review the Wikki.

T15.
Expand "primitive" use cases to include more detail (eg datatypes,
method signatures) Adam and Jamey are taking a look at this.  Adam has
been thinking about this and hopes to strat on this soon.

T16.
Update Data model based on ALF meeting feedback.  Brian took notes and
will do this

T17.
Create a schema from the data model. Since the data model is in visio
this may need to be done by hand.  No volunteers so Tim Buss will have a
go.

T18
SCM metadata difference report schema.  We should capture some use cases
for this.  To make it worthwhile to define a machine readable schema
there needs to be some compelling mainstream use cases that need to
leverage the report results in an automated way.

For some use cases we have identified that some concept of "user" is
necessary to make machine readable report useful.

It is still unclear what the use case is for a more detailed machine
readable report and wha the priority for specifying this is.  It is
possible that most of what we need will come from the schema types we
might define from the data model.

T19
Wikki pictures.  There are some placeholders for pictures in the Wikki.
These need to be poulated.  In particulare it would be good to get the
updated data model into the Wikki

2. SCM Events
A new topic at least as a separate item.

We brainstormed likely and possible SCM event sources. Note: we are not
using the "concept" terminology here.  It is assumed we will normailize
to that

Checkin - a new version of a file is checked. Possible issue is that it
is likely that 100s of files might get checked in at close to the same
time. This may swamp ALF with events that are not particularly
interesting Change - applies to files (eg Checkin).  Could apply to any
of the SCM "object classes".  Probably good to distinguish the different
change events rather than having the ALF service flow have to do it.  It
is likley that you would associate a different service flow with each
class's change event.
Promote - (eg copying a set of file versions to another branch and
labelling them) BaselineCreate - Creation of a Baseline object.  Create
might apply to any of the SCM "object Classes Configuration - adding,
removeing, (changing ?) ChangeSet - adding, removeing, (changing ?)
UpdateStarted, UpdateFinshed - bookend an action like "get"

Some addition thoughts as I write this.
It seems likely that for each of the SCM object classes we have defined,
that there would potentially be the following  set of events:

- Created
- Updated
- Deleted

Some classes may not support all three, and some classes may raise other
events in addition.

3. Workspace
We had a short discussion on this.  There was consensus that there were
cases where this is not an issue for ALF. ALF just needs to ask and it
will be done.  This works where the client (eg Build) is configured to
know about SCM and they implicity share the location of the workspace.
However, this is not always the case.  Many tools that operate on source
just know about the file system.  It was decided that we need to write a
clear problem statement to discuss and make sure we cover the bases.
(See T7 above)

4. Use cases
Not discussed due to time (except as a task update above T11, T18)

5.
Not other business was raised

Tim Buss - Serena.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Back to the top