[alf-dev] Workspace discussion

I view the relationships as being more like this:

   +------------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+
   | T1 client  | | T1 client | | T2 client | | T2 client | ...
   +------------+ +-----------+ +-----------+ +-----------+
         |              |            |             |
          \            /              \           /
           \          /                \         /
           +------------+              +------------+
           | T1 server  |              | T2 server  |
           +------------+              +------------+
                 |                           |
   ===================ALF bus/internet===========================
                 |                           |
           +------------+              +------------+
           |  Tomcat    |              |  Tomcat    |
           +------------+              +------------+
           | T1 ALF     |              | T2 ALF     |
           +------------+              +------------+

Tool client talks to Tool server using capabilities already existing in
tool.  Servers raise ALF events.  Servers will typically provide web
services interface that expose actions that the customer can use to build
service flows.  It is possible that some types of tools would only raise
events, and others would only provide services.  Whether the web service
is physically part of the "main server" or resides on another system is
purely an issue for the tool/customer to decide.  As an example, the
server for our product resides on OS/400.  Some customers will run the web
application server on the same physical server, others will run it on a
Linux/Windows server.  Some run one copy on an internal server and one on
an external server.  In any of the cases, the application server layer
just talks to the backend physical server using the internal product API.

In the case of SCM, where and how many services are running would
ultimately be based on the capability of the SCM tool.  If the tool
requires physical access to the disk to manage a workspace, you would need
to run the service on whatever physical systems you wanted to touch with
an ALF service flow.  If the tool has its own "agents" already in place
that allow it to update systems "indirectly" then you would likely only
need one service.

>From the point of view of an ALF vocabulary, I think we should keep this
as simple as possible and let the tools and customers handle the
deployment and implementation.  If we try to solve these other issues, we
will never "get out of committee".

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.