RE: [alf-dev] SCM Workspace discussion

All,

I need to weigh in on the side of Mark. The intention of ALF is not necessarily to enable additional p2p integrations among ALM tools, but to enable event-triggered orchestration among these tools. The real-life use cases I’ve seen (see previous email) don’t require files to be streamed. Instead, ‘Synchronize Workspace’ comes much closer to the mark, both for getting code out of a repository and for putting new versions of files back in.

Richard, while there certainly are use cases for streaming files from a repository, I don’t believe these are *ALF* use cases. The ALF use cases are much less finely grained.

Let’s take a look at your examples and see if they make sense as ALF scenarios.

Build tool <---> SCM    [to update workspaces, ...] Already discussed.

Issue-tracking tool <--> SCM   [e.g., to ask what change-set goes with a

given issue...]

Is this an ALF integration or a real-time query from the IDT to the SCC tool? It sounds like a real-time query, which is not an ALF scenario but is instead a p2p integration between IDT and SCC.

Testing tool <---> SCM [e.g., to populate a test workspace with scripts, or to checkout/checkin individual tests or test results]

Half and half on this one. Populating a workspace with scripts, etc could be an ALF scenario, but that would be similar to workspace synchronization we already discussed. However, checking in and out individual files as they are being modified by the tester? That is a real-time operation not requiring an ALF orchestration.

Requirements management tool <---> SCM [e.g., to version the requirements docs, or to associate requirements with change-sets that implement them]

Version the requirements doc sounds like a real-time requirement. I work on the requirements. I finish work. I click a button that immediately sends a copy of my doc to the SCC repository. I don’t see that as an ALF integration.

Requirements to change-sets might be one. Dev tasks get associated with requirements. Change sets get associated with Dev tasks. Therefore, by the transitive theory of Change Sets, Change Sets get associated with Requirements. That shouldn’t require any file streaming, just metadata association, right? However, I have not heard this requirement from any customer. Associations don’t need to be copied; they can be maintained through relationships, which is all customers need for things like Sox compliance.

CAD/CAM tool <----> SCM [e.g., to checkin/checkout, or baseline, some set of design artifacts] Etc.

Again, this one sounds more like a p2p integration. I’m done with my design, so I check it in. It would be unnecessarily complex to raise an event instead and have ALF do the check-in.

IMHO based on discussions with customers about integration requirements.

Regards,

shaw

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Back to the top